Application Launch Failure

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Billbeme, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

Hello all! I am trying to install a few files to my Treo 650 so I can use TCPMP (http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=242253) when I got the following: "Application Launch Failure. The application 'HotSync Manager' cound not be lanunced because of a shared library error. '<HotSync Manager><HotSync Manager><HotSync Library.PPC><Set Configuration Card Call Back>" Can anyone tell me what that means? I am trying to Sync on my MacBook with OSX. I was having trouble with HotSync so I completely reinstalled it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Billbeme

2. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

I have a bad feeling that your Hotsync corrupted a system file on your handheld and/or one of TCPMP's files somehow overwrote it. (I haven't had any problems like this before; this is just a hunch. TCPMP runs almost perfectly on my Zire 71.)

Anyway, I suggest you completely remove and reinstall Palm Desktop AFTER BACKING UP ALL OF YOUR DATA TO AN ARCHIVE!!!!! Do a hard reset on your Palm to clear all of the data, restore your Desktop archives, and try to Hotsync again.

3. Billbeme

Billbeme Billbeme

Michael,
    I put all the Palm programs I could find on my Mac into the trash and emptied it. I think I clearly missed some. I backup every day with NVBackup, but don't know how to put the file on my computer. I am really terrified to do a hard reset on the 650. I don't feel like I have good means of restoring the device. Does NVBackup backup every bit of the device including say...text messages, things of the like? If I use a copy of the NVB file, won't it just bring the file back with it? Thanks!

-Bill

4. Strife89

Here, my friend, are two links (two, in case one doesn't work) to a free, basic backup program. It will copy everything in RAM to your memory card. Then, copy the program itself to your card using your Palm's copy function. Pop the card into your PC, and CAREFULLY delete anything you don't want/need from this folder on the card:

/PALM/Backup/

Do a hard reset on your Palm, pop the card back in, and run the backup program from your memory card and DO A RESTORE (DO NOT press the large backup button). This should do the job for you.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/backupbuddyvfs_free.shtml
    http://www.mobilefan.net/Palm-OS.ns...ckupBuddyVFS-Lite-V2.15-for-PalmOS-3.0-to-5.x

5. Strife89

Another hunch.
    NVBackup (which I have never used) probably backs up everything either to one folder (like the programs I left you links for) or to a zip file. Search for said folder or zip file and copy/unzip it to your computer (I don't use a Mac, so for unzipping, you're on your own). Follow my advice in the above post as appropriate to try and get your palm working and data restored if you can't (or don't want to) use the programs I reccommended.

Here are their links again, just in case.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...vfs_free.shtml
    http://www.mobilefan.net/Palm-OS.nsf...mOS-3.0-to-5.x

Good luck.

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Billbeme, NVBAckup backs up everything that is in the main memory of your device. It also stores a copy of the program on the SD card. Yes, if you have a corrupted file, it will return, but it is worth the experiment as it is fast. Hard reset, then start NVBackup fro the card and do a restore. In a couple of minutes, you will be back to where you were. You can also try different backups if you have your backups cycling (I cycle for 5 days, meaning it makes a new backup every day for 5 days before ovewriting for the next 5 days, so I always have 5 days of backups to chose from).

By the way, you should not use older backup programs that are not compatible with or updated for NVFS memory. NVBackup is your best choice.

The NVBackup compressed archives can be found on the SD card under Palm/Progrmas/NVBackup. They can be copied to your computer using a card reader. Some people do this (backing up the backup) as an additional level of insurance.

You'll of course have to reinstall the Palm stuff on your Mac so you can hotsync.

7. Strife89

Oops, didn't realize he uses a newer Palm with a newer file system.

I use a Zire 71. I've got to get with the times.....

I back up Hook's suggestion, at any rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.