Application Launch Failure, Shared Library Error

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by ghast23, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghast23

ghast23 Newbie

I recently installed Palm Desktop v4.2.1 on my OS 10.2.8 G5 at work. However, the installer says that it didn't finish and gives a 'cacel - reinstall' box. None of the apps that it installed can run, and it gives this error:

Application Launch Failure

The application "whatever app" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "&<whatever app><whatever app><HotSuncLib.PPC><>"

Any ideas? It did the same thing with the PD v4.1. Thanks!

2. davevs

davevs Newbie

This is madness O

3. davevs

davevs Newbie

this is madness iI am having the same issues here for the past 48 hours
    and no one at Palm seems to know whats going on?

4. ghast23

ghast23 Newbie

One thing that I wondered about, but haven't tried yet, was creating a new user in OSX and then trying to install it again. This is from thinking that there might be a conflict with permissions or something like that. :confused:

I don't feel like trying it though, since it would take a couple hours to get back up to where I am with the user profile I have now...

Right now I'm just doing my sync at home, where my iBook had no trouble with the installation. Probably more secure there anyway.

5. Esse

Esse Newbie

I have the same error.

I am using a Swedish version of Mac OS X 10.3.4

Best Regards
    /Peter

6. Esse

Esse Newbie

Tried that, nothing works :(

7. Esse

Esse Newbie

I received this from PalmOne tech support:

My note: (Basicly you just have to erase _everything_ who have a Palm name in it.. every tiny plist file and so on) and then you MUST uppgrade stuffit expander to 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 then you just install and it works!)

From Tech support:
    Open hard drive>Users>house icon>documents>Palm>Users> HotSync? username or user folder. HotSync username refers to the folder that is labeled by your username.

Open the folder labeled by your username and check if all the information is there.

Drag the folder labeled by your username to the Mac desktop.

Press Apple and F again in the keyboard.

Type in the search box, the word Palm.

Highlight all palm files except Palm sync installer and Palm desktop installer.

Drag the highlighted files to the trash.

Empty trash.

Open hard drive.

Under hard drive select Applications then Utilities

Under Utilities choose Disk utility

After clicking Disk utility, highlight your hard drive on the left part of the window and click on First Aid.

Click Repair Disk.

Restart your computer.

Check if your Stuffit Expander is updated to version 8.0.1 or 8.0.2. If not, you may download the trial version from www.stuffit.com.

Install back Palm desktop from the CD or you may download from this site: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/macintosh/macdesk421_legal.html.

Restart computer.

Launch Palm desktop.

Click on the HotSync option on the toolbar.

Select Set-up.

See if HotSync is enabled and is it available during start-up. If it is uncheck those two options and check them back.

Go to Connection Settings.

Uncheck USB and Palm Connect and check them back.

Unplug the USB cable and plug it back.

Restart your computer

Soft reset your handheld by pressing the reset hole at the back until the palm logo will appear on the screen

HotSync your handheld.

While Palm Desktop is open, your username will be shown on the small box to the right, which says User. If it is not inside the box, try to use the scroll down arrow to select the correct username.

Click on File.

Select Merge.

From the merge window, choose the user data inside your user folder the desktop.

Click Merge.

Launch Palm Desktop if you have closed it.

Click on the HotSync option on the bar.

Click on Conduits Settings.

Check if all conduits except Install and Back Up are set to synchronize. If they are not, highlight the_Address Book_conduit.

Click the Conduits Settings box above.

Change the conduits to Synchronize.

Do the same for the other conduits except for Back up which is still back up and Install, which is, still install.

HotSync again your handheld to transfer the data to your handheld.

8. ghast23

ghast23 Newbie

Do exactly what is in the post above, it worked. It's all Aladdin's fault! Hehe... I didn't even think that it could be another piece of software, like Stuffit Deluxe.

9. gregneg

gregneg Newbie

Nope --- I've got Aladdin's latest (802) and got the same behavior. There is something else involved --- :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.