Apple's misleading "Mobile Me" Claim Exposed

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Pupator, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pupator

Pupator Guest

This one really bums me out. You've all seen the commercials, maybe watched the videos, read the advertising - Mobile Me "pushes" or "instantly syncs your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks between all your devices."

Nope.

From tuaw:
    I'm thinking this may be it for me and Mobile Me. It won't sync my contacts from FF3, my web calendar is "read-only," the iDisk can't be mounted on two computers, and now I find out that I've been lied to. 15 minutes isn't the end of the world but I HATE deceptive advertising practices. :mad:

EDIT: I should add that I contacted Apple support two days ago regarding the bookmarks, the read-only calendar, and the disk mounting issues - haven't heard a peep from them.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ouch. Sorry to hear you got stung.

I would be in the same position as you - ticked off.

3. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

That does stink! :( This will certainly delay me getting an iPhone until I can figure out how to use MM. I still love it, but there are certainly some bugs to work out if it is to work the way they originally advertised. This is disappointing to say the least. I would think Apple would want to correct this quickly! This could be an advertising NIGHTMARE.

4. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Despite the fact that I'm a grand Apple fan--a Kool Aid drinker from way back--I also feel a bit stung by MM. I was taken by the "push" service, and it appears to work well for the iPhone. But on the desktop its a different story: Its not "push", but sync. Unless, of course, you use the web interface, which we know has been problematic.

Overall, though, I'm pleased with the service since I started really using it on Saturday. Sure, its only been a few days, but I've taken advantage of pretty much all the features since then and they've worked to my satisfaction.

EXCEPT... Calendar subscriptions. As explained elsewhere, my son's Cub Scout pack leader is a Mac user and publishes the calendar for the pack. Since I'm an iCal user, I can subscribe directly. However, MM doesn't support these calendars through the web interface (They are visible on iCal), and so the info doesn't get "pushed" to the iPhone. MacFixIt published a potential solution:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080715102342143

which involved exporting the subscription and re-importing as a regular calendar. This effectively duplicated the calendar on my desktop and synced notebook, but it still didn't appear on MM web or on my iPhone.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Agreed on the Mobile Me disappointment. At this point I'm renewing .Mac for another year not because I want to but because I have to: it's going to take longer than 3 weeks to transition away from .mac and back to gmail. Push email is great, but at this point it's the only feature of .mac that's working well for me.
    One thing I haven't checked and didn't pay much attention to: Did web galleries get wiped out with the transition? I need to play around and see if web galleries created on mobile me work even on unsupported browsers. My guess is no.
    What annoys me is that it a) doesn't work as advertised, the push aspect is pretty poor and the "exchange for the rest of us" only works insofar as syncing the calendars, you cannot accept or be invited to a calendar event except on "real" exchange b) only works on ff/safari (without any lighter version for "unsupported browsers", how hard is it to do a lighter, easier version for older computers), c) can't access the mobile me site on my iPhone (it tells me to use my built in apps).

At this point the only computer I own/have access to that can access mobile me is my macbook. I can keep it in sync with itself. how very tail biting. My work computer I understand, it can't get updated, fine. It won't work on my EEE, and I am just not interested in fiddling with why not. It tells me it's not the most up to date browser but to continue, i hit continue, it tells me it's not the most up to date browser, lather rinse repeat.

If Apple had never had .mac or any similar service and this was their first attempt at cloud computing type programs, I'd give them a great deal more of a pass. As it is, getting push email on my iphone is not a big enough deal for me to be excited, and they've made the finished product so finicky and resource-heavy on the web side that you need a pretty capable computer to access it, defeating the idea that if you're at the library, your friends house, etc you can just hop on and update your life. ARGH.

6. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Apple has issued an apology. The 30 days free does not apply to trial accounts:

I'm not sure if I'm even slightly less annoyed.

EDIT: The 30 days might go to trial users as well. It's hard to tell because on my "Summary" page it still has my original trial end date (9/9/08), but on the "Account Options" page it says "Your subscription will begin on 10/09/08."

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

8. FerdFerd

FerdFerd Recovering Palm Fiddler

The problem described in that thread is not confined to push. It is a more general problem some users, including me, are experiencing with receiving email. It happens with POP and IMAP accounts, and it isn't confined to push service.

After some indefinite period of time, the phone will stop fetching email. If you enter the Mail app and an inbox, the phone will report "Connecting..." and the little pinwheel will spin, but it never connects and never retrieves mail. The problem can be solved temporarily by turning the phone off (hold power switch until the red slider shows up to turn the phone off completely) and then back on. Mail will work correctly for a time, but it will fail again to update.

Some users have reported that restoring the firmware as a new phone corrects the problem permanently. In desperation I did this last night and started over from scratch. Unfortunately for me, it did not solve the problem. This morning my phone stopped updating mail properly again.

I have filed two reports on the Apple feedback page. There are several threads about this on the Apple support forum for iPhone Mail, so this is not just one user with a problem.

If you have this trouble, please file a report on the feedback page. I doubt that complaining in forums like this one will be effective in getting Apple's attention. But I do expect it will get fixed if they know about it.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

i plan on filing a complaint tonight for sure. It's just a mess...they had problems with yahoo push when the iphone rolled out, but you'd think a year in they'd have worked it out.

And I can't wait for 2.0.1, SO MANY APP CRASHES. Oddly, Ereader reset my whole phone yesterday. On the upside, props to the ereader folks, as even the reset didn't wipe out my place from any of the books. (See, positive thinking!)

10. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.