Apple's anti-consumer behavior

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Pupator, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pupator

Pupator Guest

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ne...v-out-in-new-ipods-breaks-video-add-ons/11371

The short version is that 3rd party products made to use the iPods "Video Out" functionality (whether a cable, a portable dvd player, etc.) will not work with the new iPods.

Apple has made the new iPods check for an "Authentication chip" which most 3rd party accessory makers cannot afford.

This is the kind of stuff Apple does and gets away with it. When MS does this there's a federal investigation and the public riots.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Before MS did it, Nintendo did it. Sony did it. They all do it. We all love to hear about Borg Gates, but don't think for a minute that Jobs is any less interested in putting a collar around your neck that you have to insert quarters to breathe. I do like the fact that Job's collar is padded and nicer looking, though. ;)

We have to remain vigilant lest these tech companies pull our digital lives into the 13 circle of a DRM-induced, monopolistic Gahenna.

3. SpudNYC

SpudNYC Mobile Evangelist

10 years ago Apple was at death's door. Since then they've been using their smarts and style to climb back into the market. The way they've done this is by making products people crave and assuring that they get paid for said products. In that time they've crawled from a 2% market share to a staggering 6%. MS used it's financial and market share muscle to force competitors under, Apple is simply making the best products which persuades consumers to choose them.

4. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Can't say as I agree with this. My family has four iPods. So far, two of the Nanos never made it a year before they had to be replaced under warranty. Yes, they were both fairly easily/painlessly replaced but IMO an item of that cost should last at least a year before a problem arises & so do not qualify for "the best products". (shrug)

Both companies have done what they needed/were able to in order to get to where they are today. Neither is blameless. And as mentioned above, anyone who can (mostly & especially in the digital world) tries to control how we use what they sell us. IE, DRM has been around for quite a while. So if I purchase a DVD of a show & want to make a backup copy to protect my purchase (in case one gets dropped & cracks), I typically have to resort to means that are in the grey area - meaning some would call it illegal & others call it implementing the fair use act.

5. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

I kinda agree with Spud on this, but I think we're talking to different issues SR.

Apple climbing out of a major hole, and consumer rights.:newpalm:

Apple needed something like this to be competitive with there strategy. Do they still need it, well maybe not with there industry leading iPod, but what makes their products so stellar is that tightly controlled OS. I think the locks will be in place as long as there are teenagers in New Jersey trying to crack the code.

It's the proprietary genius that makes Apple rock.

So sorry to hear of your iPod's demise SR! Warranty? :(

Wow, experiences vary so much we have 3 iPods and a TX and I have never had a problem worthy of warranty anything. Same thing with my computers I'm on my 13th Macintosh going back to the Powerbook 100. Of course I've had hard drives crash and have needed to re-format and such but no death knocking on the door type stuff.

6. Pupator

Pupator Guest

This isn't an example of lock-down code though - which is why I posted it. I understand why they do that. Windows has far fewer problems than people think it does but because every third-party on the planet has written (lousy) programs for Windows, everytime one of those programs goes wrong people associate it with MS. Apple wants nothing to do with those sorts of problems.

This isn't a case of that. This is a case of Apple deliberately making a change to render the accessories for previous iPods useless with new iPods. They did this once before (remember that little 4 prong port on the top of the old iPods?) because they made a design change. This is not a hardware or design change but a software lock added to sell more Apple (or "Apple certified," a title that costs money) accessories.

7. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Although its an interesting take, the iLounge article makes some comparisons that just don't follow. Like the browser comparison.

If you bought a new graphics card for your tower and refused to use the supplied driver you shouldn't complain that it doesn't work the way you expect it should. Likewise, you can use other apps to manage the music on your iPod, but if you want full functionality, you have to use the Apple supplied software.

What Apple is doing is saving us from ourselves AND saving themselves from us. They make this fantastic piece of hardware and design it to work a certain way. If YOU want it to work that certain way, too, you have to use their software. If you're willing to live without the functionality, fine, but don't come crying to Apple or sue if it doesn't work right.

The difference between Apple and MS is that MS STALKS you. Example: My wife got a PC notebook with McAffee Security Center installed "free". The McAffee firewall cannot disable the Windows firewall, and neither can Windows detect that a firewall is active. So Winders keeps warning us that the computer is unprotected and I always find the Winders firewall active even if I shut it off. With the MacOS, if I want to use Intego's firewall or NO firewall, I just shut the built-in firewall off and it stays off and I'm never reminded that its off. See the difference: MS refuses to allow you to use anything else and will force its "will" on you even to a detriment. Two firewalls?! I'm not that paranoid.....

Apple wants you to use "certified" HW and SW, but your iPod isn't going to refuse to work at all if you use something else. This was a major early complaint about the iPhone: You couldn't use it as an iPod only. That is, until someone figured out how.

8. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Glad you chimed in Robb - you always have good insight and these are some valid points for sure - but I'd like to respond to a few.

I understand and agree with your point, but I disagree that it applies in this case. There wasn't nothing a user could screw up about being able to use an output as expected. A video-out cable should just work, it shouldn't have to be certified or approved...it should just work.

Microsoft allows third party software on their computers. How is it MS's fault that McAfee can't deactivate the Windows Firewall? The instructions for doing this are in the SDK - McAfee didn't follow them. I can't speak for your wife's computer, but I do know that I can go to Security Center and turn off the Windows Firewall (and it stays off). I can also turn off the security warnings that tell me there is no detected firewall. If MS doesn't have these warnings, they're accused of not protecting people. If they do - they're "stalking you."

Yes, it will refuse to work - that was my point. I have a 3rd party video out dock that worked great with 5 gen and 5.5 gen iPods but does not work with iPod classic. Not because the pin configuration changed or because the technology changed, but because Apple decided to lock me out of it and require that I buy Apple accessories if I want to use my product.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think MS is good and Apple is evil. I think both are evil. I just don't understand why everyone thinks that Apple isn't evil too. :confused:

9. himpressive

himpressive Mobile Deity

Could it be because Apple is an evil GENIUS? :D

10. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

To me, this attitude flies in the face of the entrepreneurial spirit. Being kept safe inside a walled garden is not my idea of a service rendered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.