Apple WWDC Predictions for Monday

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by plongin, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plongin

plongin Mobile Enthusiast

<p><em>&nbsp;by Perry Longinotti</em></p><p>Apple's WWDC is next week and I have been thinking about what we could see. </p><p>[​IMG]</p><p>I don't think this is the venue for hardware upgrades. Faster processors for Pro Macs and LED backlights for MacBooks are not keynote-worthy announcements. They will be rolled into small events on Apple premises, or might not warrant any fanfare at all.</p><p>A 3G iPhone and updated .Mac service (probably rebranded) are very likely. With 3G data connecting you to an expanded .Mac service, and the power of the iPhone could we finally see the true potential of cloud computing realised? My dusty forgotten and neglected .Mac account expires on Tuesday. If my prediction is wrong, I probably won't renew.</p><p>About that iPhone; I think there will be two variants (both 3G):</p><p><strong>iPhone Pro</strong></p><ul>

Similar look - metal, glass

Slightly smaller

16 and 32 GB

GPS

Exchange and&nbsp;Blackberry support

Lots of coporate apps and certifications: Salesforce, CRM, ERP

Full price

<p><strong>iPhone</strong></p><ul>

White or black plastic

slightly fatter

8 or 16 GB

GPS - more lifestyle centric

Mobile Me

Lots of fun features - games from EA, Ubi and Sega

Available on subsidy from all carriers - from $199 on a 3 year contract

<p>[​IMG]</p><p>I'll also guess that we will see a milestone number of applications at the launch of App Store. 1000 is a good round number. It's a developer conference so expect some big names on stage to discuss how easy it is to port apps to iPhone from Mac and other platforms.</p><p>Will we see other devices? I don't think so. The tablet form factor computer I predicted last time around&nbsp;is more of a MacWorld type announcement - if it ever passes Steve's QA process.</p>
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Hmmm ... iPhone Pro, 3 year contract, Mobile Me! Interesting!

:p
  3. timepilot84

timepilot84 Handheld Junkie

So what incentive is there for AT&T to relinquish it's 5 year exclusivity contract with Apple?

I think there's going to be a new Iphone that won't be any smaller than the existing one, it'll have 3g & GPS. I believe if there are any subsidies to be given out, they'll be for existing 2g phones, not the new ones.
  4. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

US carriers won't do three year deals.
    It would also not make much sense to have 2 3G models that would essentially be speced so close to one another.

My hunch says to pay attention to the iPod more than the iPhone, but I've been known to negate my last name from time to time.
  5. SuperGdog

SuperGdog aka Gdog

my guesses are:
    -Gps
    -updated UI
    -3G
    -new software.

My hopes are:
    -flash web browsing
    -office software
    (these are nice but lets not bet on them happening)
  6. plongin

This is like Christmas time.

I just hope the new phone is available at launch or soon after - I want one.
  7. plongin

Who says they have to?

AT&T is pushing for subsidies, not Apple. The lower end model makes the carriers happy.

I don't think you will see too many 2g phones being released by any carrier anymore. Even 2.5g stuff is going away as the 3G networks are being deployed. Even free phones are going to have good video calling soon (this Christmas at the latest).
  8. plongin

That's my guess on the 3 year contract price (popular up here in Canada). 2 and 1 year contracts will be less (just like carriers do now with other phones). Why not try a three year contract? If they can get you for longer, why wouldn't they try?

As for the phones, I imagine the guts will be close. Differentiation will be RAM, form factor and built in apps.

Kids do not need Exchange support, but Facebook and MobileMe would be cool for them.

I am just a wannabe Product Manager, so who knows? :D
  9. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

ATT would not be able to get away with a 3yr contract on a phone that is an upgrade on something that was new the year before. People like deals, but not silly ones like that, even if the price is good.

As for being a prouct manager, push em to get it out faster and cheaper and and revolutionary in each revision and I'm happy :D
  10. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

I'd expect a 32GB in the subsidized versions. People are not going to go corporate for 32GB only.
  11. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

here's some fodder that might help the predictions, not sure when it started but upon the purchase of any computer ... other than the mac mini sadly, Apple is giving away the 8GB iPod Touch. Actually a $299 rebate.

So you can safely predict something bigger is coming! :p
  12. timepilot84

timepilot84 Handheld Junkie

Woot! I was right. No subsidies. It's just a teensy bit bigger than the old one. 3G and GPS are the only new hardware additions. Apple hasn't broken their contract with AT&T.