Apple Warns Against Closing MacBooks With a Cover Over the Camera

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Jul 11, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Friday July 10, 2020 2:30 pm PDT by Juli Clover
    Apple this month published a support document that warns customers against closing their Mac notebooks with a cover over the camera as it can lead to display damage.

Apple says that the clearance between the display and the keyboard is designed to very tight tolerances, which can be problematic. Covering the camera can also cause issues with automatic brightness and True Tone.

If you close your Mac notebook with a camera cover installed, you might damage your display because the clearance between the display and keyboard is designed to very tight tolerances. Covering the built-in camera might also interfere with the ambient light sensor and prevent features like automatic brightness and True Tone from working. As an alternative to a camera cover, use the camera indicator light to determine if your camera is active, and decide which apps can use your camera in System Preferences.

The warnings from Apple likely stem from complaints from MacBook Pro owners who have seen their displays crack after covering the camera, and there are multiple reports and warnings on sites that include MacRumors and Reddit. The issue appears to be especially bad with the new 16-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ models that have thinner bezels.

[​IMG]

Image via the MacRumors Forums
    MacRumors forum member Dashwin, for example, put a webcam cover on his 16-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ in April and the result was a crack in the display under where the camera is located.
    The latest MBP 16 inch with the thin tiny bezels and display comes at a cost of breakage with the tiniest of forces with a webcam cover in place. The internal display no longer works and I've had to connect it to an external display. I've had one of the exact same webcam covers on my 2011 MBP with no issues whatsoever for many years.

Damage from applying a webcam cover to the camera is considered accidental and can be repaired under AppleCare+, but it's quite possible it's an issue that Apple won't fix for customers that don't have ‌AppleCare‌+, and it's an expensive fix.

Apple says that customers concerned about illicit camera access should watch for the green light that comes on when the camera is activated. The camera is engineered so that it can't be accessed without the indicator light turning on.

link:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/10/apple-macbook-camera-cover-warning/

scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

A roll of black vinyl insulation tape is part of my EDC. I'm guessing it would come very handy for these situations. In fact, I used to cover the camera on my laptop with a small piece of tape, but I quickly got bored of doing so. I can only hope whoever is watching on the other side gets bored quickly too ;)

scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I just sit in front of my computer naked. Nobody wants to see that. Problem solved!

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Haven't these people ever heard of tiny yellow Post-Its? Totally unobtrusive and utterly harmless, all while working like a charm. Turn note sideways, put half over camera and wrap over screen edge, securing other half on outer cover. Sticky stuff on Post-It doesn't harm laptop frame. You can't beat the price. :vbgrin: This one's been on for more than a year. :thumbsup:

Post-It Covers Camera_Inner View 2020-07-11.jpg Post-It Covers Camera_Outer View 2020-07-11.jpg

Mi An, scjjtt, headcronie and 4 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

RA starts to click 'Like' but thinks better of it...

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Devices designed to the point where they have no margin for error. Substitute a grain of dirt, paperclip, or other usually benign object with similar results. This is the stupidity that ensues. When you are more about looks than functionality. I certainly don't need more reasons to not buy this stuff, but maybe this will be reason enough for others. I can throw my laptops into a bag with other misc items and not worry about this happening. Can you? :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Mi An, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Agree with HC's opinion. Thinness for the fashion of it makes very little sense. My Dell laptop has taken a lot of rough treatment, although it does show on the screen, because the lip of the keyboard lays very close to the screen when the laptop is closed. Since this is a very dusty environment and I usually dump this laptop in my bag with a lot of clothes when I travel and it's a tight fit, some sand particles have rubbed between the keyboard lip and the screen, and the screen shows a line of scratches through half its width. Other than this, the screen is working properly. Now when I close the laptop I place a thin piece of eva foam between screen and keyboard to prevent further damage. This foam is cut to fit within the screen bezels, to avoid straining the hinges. The scratches are not very visible or distracting, but still I wish I had thought about this when I purchased this laptop. But other than this, my laptop hasn't suffered any hardware damage, even after several months commuting by bike on a dirt road.

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

One word. Tankpads... er, Thinkpads. :vbrolleyes: :vbgrin:

Mi An, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I didn't realize that people used thick things that could really cause problems as described. I use scotch tape. The cloudy (not all-clear) kind. It will let light through, but not any real images of any kind. I was puzzled that they'd even mention the camera light. From what I've read, there are tons of instances (mostly on Windows) where the malware defeats the light when it turns on the camera. I wouldn't trust that.

Hook, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I get that tape, and post-it-notes work. Some people want a more robust & permanent solution. Apple wants you to be more concerned with how sexy their machine is. Precision engineered. Go ahead, caress those thin bezels. Don't you dare attach anything that might make our branded equipment look poor.

Apple's terrible suggestion to just watch for the green light is beyond laughable. Even if... their camera truly cannot be activated without the green light, that is no substitute for a physical barrier. You can't notice a green light if you are asleep, away from your computer, not paying attention, etc, etc. So, yeah... you're left with tape, post-it-notes, etc. It works... It wouldn't be my first choice though.

Hook, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.