Apple Unveils the iPad Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

It is not better than a Netbook, but it is not comparable to a Netbook. The iPad is not a computer - it is a giant iPod touch. If you think of a Netbook as a Media center, than an iPad is better as long as you can live with 64gb. It simply isn't a netbook competitor if you use your Netbook as a computer.

I am agog at the shortsightedness of the iPad. It is a hallmark of Apple's Hubris to offer such a limited device. It is the same hubris that led to the Apple TV.

2. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

One area I can see this thing really taking off is in the education field on college and university campuses. Students spend thousands of dollars for textbooks that weigh hundreds of pounds over the course of their program.

Picture this... the typical college/university student carries a laptop, multiple textbooks, notepads, smartphone and (maybe) a separate MP3 player. If Apple could develop an education ecosystem with the iPad, the need for carrying expensive and heavy textbooks could be eliminated.

Imagine having 4 years worth of textbooks on an iPad with the ability to do e-mail, SMS, access the web, take notes, and use the phone with videoconferencing... etc... It would be a students dream. If the iPad actually had a stylus with handwriting recognition this could be the only device that a student would have to carry....anywhere.

The iPad has some shortcomings in this regard. It cant take handwriting notes, has no camera and can't do basic phone features such as SMS. But these are technical issues that can be easily overcome. SMS could probably be sent through the internet, and a capacitive stylus already exists. The phone issue might be overcome with VOIP/Skype. There will probably be "apps for that" soon enough.

I have a feeling that the iPad will be the dominant technology on college campuses soon enough.

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

That will be a major hack. The hardware is essentially the next generation of hardware for the iPhone, which is a lot more Apple-specific and non-generic enough that its going to take a bit of time to get through the BIOS/firmware before even removing the OS.

Funny, I've been using my smartphone like the iPad for a few years now. That whole thingy of being ahead and behind at the same time is funny when it rears its head ;)

The keyboard could have been smaller in the landscape view. Weird that there are no haptics - meaning localized when typing or hitting major menus as that would have fostered the "touch-PC" concept a bit more.

There really isn't much new with the iPad outside of the pricing and content. Its not really a new genre at all, just one that Apple had not been into. It does remind me of a PDA more than anything - which says a lot towards where Palm could/should have gone with Cobalt or webOS... missed opportunities abound in hindsight I guess.

@Drillbit, excellent comparison of PC versus smartphone paradigms there. Hope people hear you, I've been preaching that smartphone OSes are more than enough for all but the high-end of computing for years now.

Don't count on that. One, the infrastructure of college systems needs to be nearly if not compltely iPhone-usable. The cost needs to include the dock, the fact that students will also want/have some kind of iPod as well. And the lack of handwriting - need a stylus on a custom note app - would be better considering that user produced notes need to be more random than keyboarding, but need to be able to annotate typed notes from the professor. Plus the cost of the device itself isn't education friendly yet. It needs that 30% drop just to hit the students that aren't already reeling from increase tuition due to IT staffing needs for iPhone users :p

4. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

SMS could not notify you unless Apple makes the app - no multi-tasking, you would also have to offer a second number to friends unless you were looking to exclusively get SMS on your iPad. As an eReader - it would have to have four things to be a legitimate replacement for paper textbooks:

1. Hightlight ability
    2. Comment ability
    3. Near 100% untilization. A committment from the school and/or publisher to use / offer texts electronically. Without this you still need the infrastructure for paper books and the benefit just flies out the window.
    4. cost savings over paper text books. Otherwise, this is just an extra expense for a non-resellable book.

My son is prepping for college in the fall and he and his friends laughed out loud at the name and the 64gb. My wife, who also attends college, could not fathom where this would fit in her life.

The other thing that this needs to become a standard on college is, ironically, Microsoft support. Without native Office support, colleges will not want to deal with it. This is not a replacement for anything, yet. It is an additional, non-pocketable, "non-purse-able" thing to carry around.

5. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I really see this differently than many people here, I think.

Actually, I really like the iPad as a concept.

How it's execution works out will be something we won't know for awhile, but the concept hits the sweet spot of things I like to do in a presentation I would like to have without a lot of fuss and bother. Books, periodicals, music, internet, clipboard (calendar and notes), writing. All delivered at the correct size, in the hand, with fingers, These are the things I want to be doing most of the time. Portable, easily tucked in a bag, not so much mobile, which is too small for these sorts of tactile pleasures.

It is not a computer, it is a publisher. It provides content at the right size and as directly as a newspaper or a magazine. It is the content delivery system for anyone out there, and there are many, who hate computers. Or even someone like me who likes computers, but somewhere in the middle of fooling around with one, going through arcane backfilps with a recalcitrant OS or application, stops, sighs and thinks "life is too short for this."

I would like to see this concept well done. I would have preferred to not have to go to Apple's ecosystem to get it. I would have love to see Nokia's take on this concept. Maybe I'll get lucky and others will begin moving this way. But I will likely get one of these eventually. And guess what? I probably won't need more than 16Gb and I won't need 3G. I won't care that I can't do Hulu (I don't do it now on my laptop).

It is, to me, the first computer truly designed for holding and touching and sitting and thinking. It is an immersion experience, the way holding a book or a magazine or photo is. It is direct. It is almost analog. The size, the UX-- all of it comes together in a way that makes sense for me. Again, I am describing the concept, I have no idea if the execution will pull it off.

It may very well fail in the market, I can never call these things. But that market is probably not people in a Tech forum turning their noses up because it can't do what their netbooks can do.

This is a fairly personal reaction, I am not trying to convince anyone else here that this is a great concept. I do really hope it finds its niche so that the niche will be there for me.

6. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

I agree with this. Until I needed to write code and edit large documents, I had happily carried only a Palm or WinMob device for years and never felt a lack.

Also,
    I know I am probably a WebOS fanboy at this point, but - that being said - WebOS would be awesome on the iPad hardware. Still not nearly enough for me to want one, but the elegant multi-tasking, simple notification, and flash-friendliness would be much better than the iPhone OS.

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

I must admit that I am one of those who was disappointed over the OS. I'd rather have OS X straight up. While I hate flash, I view flash as a necessary evil and Apple should just get out of the damn way. Why not a $499 model with 32 gig of ssd and an sd slot? Apple is still charging way too much for upgrades.

As for this thing pulling down Apple or pulling down AAPL, who cares! They just made record profit last quarter. I said this before but they have a cushion and I don't mind them spending some of it developing a better alternative to mediocre netbooks and heavy notebooks. The Macbook Air is nice but it is still a clamshell device and cannot be used as comfortably as a tablet. I'm glad AAPL went down. I can buy some before the rest of the world wakes up and realizes what this thing means.

I hope this device is the beginning of a flood of tablets from Apple, and the "Pro" versions will someday offer real OS X, usb host and video out.

This thing is so close. So very close to the perfect device for me. I need a device to remotely access my Macbook so I'm not trudging to the basement to do "real work". My Acer Aspire One would do this nicely if it wasn't for the lame 600 pixel vertical resolution. My iTouch falls on its face trying to run vnc. My Blackberry 8830 can run ssh but the font is freakin' tiny and I really do want more than a text console for most things I do on my Mac. I don't like reading on my iTouch, but it was cheaper to get an iTouch and download the free Kindle reader than to buy a Kindle. Besides, I didn't want another device to bother with.

Where we are today with iPad is an oversized iTouch. With 140,000 apps in the app store, if only 10% of apps were updated for iPad that would mean 14,000 apps! I'm sure I'd be able to find apps for most things I wanted. This is why I believe that where we will be tomorrow is an ereader with 100% of college texts available, the ability to sceen share into a Mac or remote desktop into Windows, and Kindle software available for the big screen. Yes, I believe Amazon will update their Kindle iPhone app for the iPad. Amazon is selling books here, not silicon. And it turns out Apple is up to the same game with the publishers they've partnered with. I bet Apple made a few bucks on every one of those 250 million iPods they sold but they made even more on the music and app downloads. The usefulness of a device is all about content and this device has compelling content 2 months before it's released.

8. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

The Kindle problem in question is not about Amazon, it is about Apple. Apple's rule is no apps that replace Apple's built-in functions. No browsers, no music players, no phone apps. No eReaders? Apple doesn't like competition, they don't make software that plays with others (and sharing iTunes XML doesn't count).

9. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I actually feel that 4:3 makes more sense on a tablet of that size than 16:9 or 16:10.

Why? With the widescreen aspect ratios, when you hold the thing in portrait orientation, it's definitely long enough, but not WIDE enough. It's just way too far off from the golden ratio when presented that way.

I wouldn't say a complete failure-there are plenty of Windows-based Tablet PCs in vertical markets, and they wouldn't want it any other way.

However, three problems kept them from appealing to consumers:

-PRICE. New Tablet PCs, convertible and ESPECIALLY slate, are crazy expensive when bought new.
    -AVAILABILITY. If you're lucky, you might see one of HP's tx-series consumer convertible tablets at a local brick-and-mortar store. To have any decent chance of finding one, you'd have to order online.
    -NON-TAILORED OS. For every OneNote, InkSeine, or SketchBook Pro you can run on a Tablet PC, practically every other app is made around a keyboard-and-mouse input paradigm, not a pen-and-or-touch input paradigm. Microsoft has been going at it since Windows for Pen Computing how many years ago, but even as nice as Windows 7 is on a Tablet PC, it still feels like a hack-job at best. Then there's all the points you made on comparing PDA/smartphone-type OSes to desktop/laptop-type OSes.

They have shown me a good user interface for a tablet (booklet, rather) in the Microsoft Courier concept, but so far, that is merely a concept, not even available for purchase. Shame, because it would make a great asset for college students like myself.

This reminds me of something I said about tech enthusiasts like us:

"We live the future before anyone else realizes it's already here."

10. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

@Hook - the iPad as a publishing platform and immersion device is exactly where Apple is targeting it. You are more on point than you think sir - however, one can't define immersion without defining who last did it wrong (netbooks) and having the content to be immersed in ("...standing on Amazon's shoulders"), and so this is indeed a test, much like the MB Air was a test. Ain't tech in our wild wild west fun :newpalm:

@Nameless - that's a quotable, wish I would have had that for that article of mine.