Apple Unveils the iPad Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkaroo

dunkaroo Mobile Deity

How is this thing any better than a cheaper netbook?

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Hmmm...personally, I think that zone has been attempted, was successful, then fizzled, and now doesn't exist anymore. It's the PDA. Why Apple would think it's a great idea to make a bigger PDA and attempt to bring it back as a modern device is beyond me.

I'm beginning to think the whole Apple thing is lost on me. I've never owned one of their computers (because until relatively recent they were rather difficult to network), I've neve owned an iPod (I just used my PDA's instead), and I've never owned an iPhone (didn't offer the features I required in a smartphone). Chances are that I will never own an iPad either (for a combination of all the above reasons). Oh, well.

3. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

I don't really see where you've disagreed with what I said???

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

10 hours of HD video playback (supposedly). I get 5.5 hours of word processing with wifi off and the lowest brightness with a 6 cell battery on my Acer Aspire One.

To wit the form factor is important. Tablets haven't taken off for several reasons, but largely because the form factor preceded some of the tech needed to make it useful for multimedia. Cheap, low power GPUs that actually do great multimedia are far more abundant now than they were even one year ago. CPUs have made great strides in the past year as well, with the 1ghz snapdragon being dramatically more efficient than it's 528mhz predecessor while still delivering big performance gains. And people are really starting to think about ways to save on screen power too. Note that having this means not having to lug around extra keyboard bulk when you don't need it as well.

This isn't the tablet for me, but the one I end up with won't be that much different. And I can easily see how some people would enjoy this one.

If you were to get a netbook that was truly competitive with this in terms of capability, it wouldn't be much cheaper. I'm honestly surprised at the base model's price, though the 16GB unexpandable storage does take away some of the mystery.

I disagree, first, that the PDA zone fizzled. I think it just morphed. Smart PMPs are PDAs, they're just marketed and preloaded a little differently, and they're pretty popular. How many millions of Touches have sold? Once there's a competitive enough Android analog, I expect that market to get bigger. Stagnation of WinMo and Palm OSs had as much to do with the alleged death of PDAs as anything.

As to this new zone, I think it's completely different. A useful multimedia tablet has never been tried because the combination of battery life, weight and power has never been able to hit the sweet spot. If we're not there right now, I think we're right on the cusp. Add availability of digitally delivered goods (books, movies and music) and consumer comfort with the concept, and I think there's huge potential demand that's just never been tested. Tablets have failed up to now, first, because they mostly didn't realize they were supposed to be multimedia tablets, and second, because they couldn't hack it at multimedia if they tried.

If 1.5 million people (kindle only) will buy a monochrome device with a 1000ms refresh rate that can only read books, and to wit, only from one source (practically speaking), then a beautiful several hundred thousand color 2-6ms refreshing, high resolution, super magazine and comic rendering, HD video playing (though one wonders where the HDMI-out is), web browsing machine that's right-sized and right-lifed definitely has a market.

In the near-term, to support a MM tablet market, I expect to see wireless hdmi, so I could for example, set it up to play 24 on an HDTV in the living room, pick up the tablet and carry it with me so I can keep watching during a popcorn break, and never miss a beat or pause the action. Book syncing already happens between kindle and kindle for iPhone, and it's a genius feature, so you read the tablet at home, pull out your phone on the train and instantly find yourself on the same page you left off on, and back at home your tablet reader knows where you left off at work. Ditto on syncing for the hulu tablet/smartphone apps (assume a non-Apple platform).

5. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Well.....sure, I'll take a cup of coffee and a donut.....

I agree with ya'll on several points...pricing is better than some speculations, but still too much for what it is. Also, the price bumps for the memory are ridiculous.

It can use a BT keyboard, good....but even at that...why would I want one? Data entry without an keyboard would be painful.

Sure, it's pretty, and it could challenge the Kindle/Nook market. I think the netbook market will smirk and continue happily rolling along.

Why do I want a device that doesn't do much (any?) more than my Touch but doesn't fit in my pocket and has to be more fragile based on sheer physics and engineering?

It won't replace my Touch (too big)

It won't replace my Macbook (too limited)

I don't have a nitch in-between to fill.....

Personally, I'm not surprised Apple stock dipped after this. I think I might of sold off some (if I had any) at this too.

This is not the paradigm shift we're looking for, me thinks.....

6. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

If it was cheaper I might see getting one when I was finally ready to get a dedicated ereader. But I share Mi An's concern that Apple will reject - or could choose to later reject - competing eReaders. Though Jobs has shown contempt for eReaders before, so he might not care that much.

It seems like it is the bastard child of an iTouch and a decade old Windows Tablet. Finally! The opportunity to have a giant iPhone without the ability to do SMS?!? This will keep my son looking at his phone. Whatever the future holds, it included text-messaging. My 17-year-old says more in text on any given day than he does out loud. He plays Pandora while he works. He has a 20-inch monitor when he wants to watch something and he has a Netbook that runs Word.

This brings nothing new to our capabilities and it can't replace anything and anything it does with the exception of e-reading is done better by something I already own.

I think its pretty, though.

7. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I just noticed the aspect ratio. 4:3? On a tablet that doesn't have hdmi-out? :facepalm:

8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I'm sold. I can see many ways I can be using this over my iPod Touch.

9. goconfigure

goconfigure Mobile Enthusiast

No Flash, no cash :)

10. neuron

neuron Mobile Deity

I am wondering if it is possible to install (or flash, whatever it called) windows 7 to this iPAD. I definitely will buy one if it is possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.