Apple Unveils the iPad Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Something to keep in mind with running iPhone apps on the iPad: they will either run in their native resolution in a small box in the middle of the screen with a lot of black space around it, or they will be enlarged with pixel-doubling to fill much of the display, resulting in very large text and buttons.

Here's an example of what a regular app looks like blown up to fit the screen:
    [​IMG]
    When you look at it, consider that this is a 9.7-inch display -- each of those letters has to be a half inch tall or bigger.

And as we saw during today's presentation, the other option is worse.

With this in mind, it seems to me that the ability to run standard apps will be nice, but you're going to want an iPad-aware version of any app you frequently use.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

To echo r0k, I love that it has a no 3g version. I hope that anti-trend catches on.

Because Apple's in the book business now. I'd be thrilled if they were willing to compete, but they've demonstrated a reticence to do so on the iphone/touch for various other application types.

So I would ask, they already restrict competition on their iPhone/Touch platform, why wouldn't they do so on the iPad as well?

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

That's so old fogies like me can read em. ;) Think of the ipad running iPhone apps as a geriatric iTouch. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

:D :D Same here Brother! Same here!:D :D

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Dude, i've been ranting about this for weeks...we'll have to wait and see. I think it's likely we'll see the Kindle, B&N, etc apps not be allowed to update to iPad res...we'll see.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I guess 'Less is less.'

Call me a sourpuss; but this is as good in some ways as I expected; but more importantly it's as disappointing as I thought.

Sure, they can 'brag' about the $500 starting price; but 16 GB (unexpandable)? Seriously?

To me, it repeats the same tired mistakes:

1. Charging $100 to go from 16 to 32 GB and then the same $100 for 32 to 64 GB is almost obscene. This seems much like the original 4 GB iPhone, nonsensical. It'll be gone soon enough, if it even makes it to market.

2. I'll beat the dead horse: someone needs to kick Jobs in the butt until he offers an card slot.

3. Someone mentioned that because this has BT 2.1, it can use the Apple BT keyboard. Is 2.1 the deciding factor, or what Apple allows? And will that mean it can also take other BT keyboards?

4. The lack of flash is troubling. Also, no camera, and the fact that I had read the iPad had no GPS were problems too; but the original post here says that the iPad DOES have GPS. I don't know for sure.

5. I'm sure the 3G models will be limited as well (i.e. no Slingplayer with 3G service, only WiFi) and with an 'unlimited' limit of 5 GB.

Is it amazing to hold a near 10" brilliant screen in one's hands? Yes.

Someone on the Times blog said that people expect too much (like the features I mention above); but they can't have offered this for $500 with those things. I say 'why not?' The Nokia Booklet has an aluminum shell, 10" screen, 120 GB HD, USB ports, keyboard, 3G, card slot, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI out, etc. etc. and it costs $599 or $299 with a plan (the iPad seems to offer no subsidy for taking the monthly 'unlimited' 3G plan, but this may change). Although they're not directly comparable, I'm not sure that the $500 base price is so shocking when one looks closely.

If I were to buy one, I'd seriously consider getting a non-3G model and getting a Verizon (or other) MiFi. Then I could use the same connection for iTouch, iPad, netbook, whatever. Yes, I'd have only 1 'bucket' of 5 GB/month; but it would be more cost-effective.

Edit: It appears that the 3G models have GPS and there is a card slot ADAPTER (what a PITA, something that costs extra and I can lose, instead of just putting a bloody slot on the thing. Oh, right, there probably wasn't 'room.').

One good thing: I'm going to guess and say that the next iPhone will have the same proprietary 1 GHz processor as this iPad.

7. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Any chance this will make non-tech pundits rethink how it's impossible to read on anything other than eink?

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I don't think they have anything to worry about, because Nintendo and Sony have the core gamers like myself and Apple doesn't, and Apple probably won't until they throw in a D-Pad and some buttons somewhere on the device. Many of the kind of games core gamers like require precise control, and not having tactile feedback makes that problematic.

That said, speaking of FPSs and the iPad, if there was one meant to be played with the keyboard dock, a Bluetooth mouse, AND the touchscreen for environment interaction...nobody will do it, though, simply because that requires peripherals.

9. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

Very cool, but like the original iPhone, not quite ready for prime time. Need flash, of course, video conferencing, USB, and a way to share a single voice/data plan with the iPhone that has cloud syncing between the two devices. Finally, and most importantly, it will need Verizon's network in most of the US.

10. zap2

zap2 Apple User

I disagree

The original iPhone had it share of issues with the general public. High price, no 3rd party apps, no copy paste, no MMS, etc. Apple has done a great job filling in those wholes.

The iPad has issues of its own, I'll agree. Flash is a HUGE one. As is no multitasking for suggested as a 3rd pillar between smartphones and full computers. (I'll say that Verizon's network isn't really required here...the device isn't based around always being connected. Not to mention, Verizon's network isn't the best thing in the world)

I think the biggest issue the iPad faces that the zone its trying to define might not be there. That middle ground between full computers and smartphones is something many companies have tried to fill, but we haven't seen a "good" device in there.

I'm of course eager to see Apple to try, but I'm eager to see where that market comes out as.