Apple Unveils the iPad Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I'll definitely be in the market for a media tablet with decent screen tech (Pixel Qi or equivalent) in the near future. Not this one, but my hope is Apple creates new demand that makes better (that is, better for me) tablets more available and useful. It'll mainly be an eReader for me, as I so disdain the worthless, heavily proprietary and limited eink options that exist today; but I'll enjoy the media functions for video, audio, hdmi out etc as well as application usage in a Win7, WinMo7 or Android OS.

The Notion Ink Adam is about as close as I've seen. I hope by winter of this year, there will be a lot of similar devices with the right screen tech and battery enhancements.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm admittedly not a big Appple person, but nothing in this would even replace my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, and it only cost me $185. Bigger is usually not better for me. With a MiniSD slot (expandable memory), USB hosting, a built-in keyboard, compatibility with my Palm BT keyboard, multi-tasking OS, and great battery life, turning in my N810 on this would be a step back for me in many ways.

I think they could've and should've done better. Most people are immediately labeling this as a big iTouch. I think they needed to do better. Their stock actually went down after the announcement???

Oh, well. Maybe it's just not for me -- most things Apple aren't.

3. neuron

neuron Mobile Deity

It doesn't matter how poor this OS in a tablet (no multitasking at all, no full featured word processing applications.), only price matters. You can not find a slate style PC at below $800. Therefore I predict that this slate will sell very well at $499.

4. palur

palur Mobile Deity

I think the big minus is that it does not have USB ports (am I wrong??). how can you transfer files from your computer or from others' to view on this? A netbook does a better job than this IPAD in many of these respects-more hard drive, bigger screen, keyboard, USb ports, camera and even SD card reader and even cheaper by $200.
    I was really hoping for a game cganging device. Very much disappointed.

5. palur

palur Mobile Deity

I have DUO touch screen attachment for my netbook ($119) that has converted my netbook in to a very usable tablet pc!! Still cheaper than IPAD, $250 + 119=$369.

6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

One of the nice things that having the iPhone OS would do for this as an ereader is access to Amazon and B&N and eReader.com reader apps, among others. I wonder if the higher resolution versions of those applications will be rejected for duplicating iBook functionality.

7. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

I just thought of this. If you can run ALL iPhone apps on this thing that means Games also! How cool would FPS games look on a 10" screen! They should some games running on it already.

I bet Nintedo and Sony (PSP Go) are saying "S@#$"

8. treynolds

treynolds Mobile Deity

You can already do this with the Touch, why not the iPad?

9. treynolds

treynolds Mobile Deity

The video on Apple's website shows them running a racing game from the AppStore:

www.apple.com/ipad/#video

10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015