Apple Unveils the iPad Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Apple has just taken the wraps off its first tablet computer, which it has named the iPad. This upcoming device will greatly resembles a super-size iPhone or iPod touch, and have much of the same functionality. UPDATED

Read the full content of this Article: Apple Unveils the iPad

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Okay, now this I could see playing with. That border around the screen looks a bit big, though.

3. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

Not my type of device. I was hoping for more of a "MacPad" with a detachable keyboard and a Wacom pen.

Then again, the iPad with those two hardware features could've been rather enticing. Just imagine that Brushes app with an accurate, pressure-sensitive pen, or the e-book app with the ability to annotate, or who knows what else.

Oh well, I've still got several Tablet PCs on the market to choose from, though I probably won't need a new one for a while (unless the sheer weight of my current one-over 6 pounds-starts getting to me).

4. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

The iPad doesn't strike me as a move forward - compared to Apple's other types of releases hardware-wise. Its more or less a bigger iPhone. The content offerings are indeed a good one, but so far, I'm seeing pretty much a "just make it bigger" approach rather than something that's really different.

Really would have been better if a UI similar to Mag+ (video) or the MS Courier was utilized for iBook and the Contacts app. Everything is so static.

ADDITION(S):
    - Would be nice to know if this is compatible with Apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard. That would be compelling in non-mobile situations.
    - Would be a nice package with the wireless keyboard, ability to host the iTunes session for iPhones, and use either a Mini or Apple TV as network storage... that would be pushing their platform waaaaay forward.
    - Battery life is nice sounding; hope it comes close.
    - PDA fans should be happy, 3G is an accessory, a microSIM one at that. The data package on the low end is a joke, the unlimited one should have some interesting conditions. Love the prepaid aspect of it though, that's smart.
    - Uhmmm, if this is so innovative, then why was Apple beat to the punch? It has to be the content and iPhone integration... right?

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

They just showed the thing running iWork. Cool.

The fact it has no 3G radio means it stays on my list. I don't want to deal with any cell contract and would rather buy my tablet/netbook without a subsidy.

You mention there is no expansion, but the screen shots clearly show some sort of sd card shaped hole at the bottom of the device. I'm hoping it has either usb host or an sd slot. The iPad plus a usb or bluetooth keyboard could easily become my main computer and relegate my AAO to ebay and my Macbook would sit in the basement for weeks between uses. When I first got my AAO, I thought it would supplant my macbook but it never happened because of the screen height and some quirks of Ubuntu. If the iPhone OS on the iPad is up to running iWork, it should be up to running anything I need it to run. Cool. Now what's the price already? Over an hour into this demo and they still haven't talked about the price...

EDIT: Darn. That slot I spotted on the bottom is a regular iPod connector for hooking up the iPad to a computer. When is somebody going to realize that for some of us, the iPad IS the mothership? Oh. Now they're telling the 3G story. Apparently it's going to be $15 a month for 250 MB. Enough for email but not movies...

EDIT: Wow. 500 bucks for the 16 gig model. How unApple ;) And a keyboard dock? Ok, where do I click to order one...

6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Good news: I just updated the article with a paragraph about the detachable keyboard Apple is going to offer.

I wonder if this keyboard will work with the iPhone and iPod touch?

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I'll have to eat my words there-that's a bit of a relief.

I would have preferred it, though, if it was more of a TC1000/TC1100-style detachable keyboard with a swivel hinge on it. But since the detachable keyboard already exists, what's to stop a hardware hacker or third-party accessory manufacturer (of which Apple gets many) from making one?

Still no Wacom pen, but the larger screen size should make using a capacitive stylus much better, since the very tip isn't taking up a massive percentage of the available screen space like on the 3.5" iPhone and iPod touch.

Oh, and I do have to give points to Apple for their use of an IPS LCD panel. Typical TN panels would have lousy viewing angles for tablet use.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

So far I'm intruiged. I probably won't know for a long time if I want it or not, but the idea of sitting on a train, checking Pocket informant, reading the New York Times while listening to music, and then in the afternoon either reading a good book or doing some writing...

As AW said, there isn't anything starkly innovative here, but the way things have been put together and the decisions that have been made is really different.

It will be fun spending some time thinking about this. I'm not going to be quick to judge this.

9. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

Not a bad device, but not groundbreaking either. I personally am not in the market for a device between a smartphone and a laptop, but I know many who are that may like this. The amount of hype compared to what was delivered is on par with the Nexus One. Very cool device, but not a gamechanger.

10. The Turtle

The Turtle Slow, not stupid

I like the price! I was expecting something in the $800 range for an entry level model but was pleasantly surprised to see something that wasn't too far off from the top-end iPod Touch.

I personally don't see too much incentive to buy a 3G model, as if I want mobile internet, I'd rather have it on a pocketable device.