Apple Modifying iPhone to Better Protect Users' Data from Third-Party Apps Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Several days ago, news came out that some iPhone apps are sending to their developers personal information about their users without permission. Apple announced today that it is going to update the iOS to make this impossible.

Read the full content of this Article: Apple Modifying iPhone to Better Protect Users' Data from Third-Party Apps

Related Articles:

Google Wallet Security Fix Goes Out

Apple Probably Planning to Introduce iOS 5.1 Next Month

IBM: BYOD Brings Security Woes, Consumerization & Hassles Over iPhone Vs. Android OS

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

This is good, I fail to see why developers need any rights to mine data outside what their application is expected to do.

3. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Very nice. I'd like to have the option to block in Android as well. Too many apps want access to Contacts. A lot of people freak about every permission the apps require, but many make sense if you think about it or someone explains it. For example, I just don't see the need for a game or Pandora to be able to access my contacts.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm glad this issue is getting a lot of attention. It's terrifying.

I'm surprised Apple is not getting more grief for its vaunted App Store vetting; since these major apps clearly violated Apple's TOS but got through anyway.

I'm also interested in a similar thread (or dealt with here) on Android; since apparently Android blocks this without specific user consent; but the articles I've read aren't clear if NOT giving consent prevents use of the app entirely.

One suggestion I read, which I thought was better anyway, is to NOT use apps in instances where the website is as good or close. Sometimes I think the whole 'app thing' is overdone in some instances.

5. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

The trouble with Android is that, while developers tell you what permissions they require, they aren't required to tell you why and it's all or nothing. You either accept the permissions or you don't download the program. Considering that the underlying OS is Linux , which gives very precise control of permissions, I'd like to see the ability to say "no, you can't have access to my contacts and if that means I lose the ability to share my high scores with my friends, fine."

Again, a little common sense, reading reviews, sticking with mainstream apps and using a spyware/malware scanner goes a long way, but it would be nice if the system were more transparent and flexible. However, at least they generally do ask your permission before you download.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Fair enough; but it's still better than what iOS offered. And from some other things I read, it's not quite as 'all or nothing' as you suggest. Apparently the TOSs usually spell out what the Android apps are going to look at.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yes but if you then do not accept the TOS, you don't get the app--refusing stops the download dead in its tracks.