Apple Might Be Deliberatly Bricking iPhones Repaired by Unauthorized Techs

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Should we start a discussion thread on the Apple/FBI/Security issue? I'm interested to hear what people here think. I've read some pretty nuanced comments on some articles I've read. Just didn't know if it would be too inflammatory.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

IMO it's very good to know that the FBI needs Apple's help to crack an iPhone. Speaks volumes about those devices' security level. It's surprising in view of what I perceive is the general consensus regarding smartphones, namely that passwords, locks, and resets, are nowhere near as secure as users think. I think Rick posted a link to a very scary article some months ago that claimed that it was possible to recover a large fraction of info from phones even after a format or factory reset. Can't find the link now, though (help, Rick?). Seems devices -at least iPhones- are more secure than I thought.

In this case I agree with Apple (and by extension with Google). There is no such thing as a "one-time only crack". If Apple agrees now then it will have to do the same forever after. However, in this case it's very possible some new law may be passed to force manufacturers to allow access to phones by law enforcement agencies. There have been such laws for banks for years now.

Guest and Hook like this.
  3. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

I would like to say it's just for security of the payment system but Apple does this kind of things in many ways when your trying to repair your own apple gear - just on the hardware side.
    I think the company is very unfriendly to do it yourself repairs.
    Plenty of techs have the attitude well you shouldn't be touching the device if you don't know what your doing - but I basically feel that Apple goes out of their way to make repairs likely to fail vs other companies that just don't make it easy or hard.

4. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Yeah my pontiac has an air bag error code that can not be cleared by a normal mechanic. The only way I can fix it (and get the car to pass yearly inspection) is to take it to a GM dealer and pay them a premium fee to get it cleared by their "special" computer. :).
    Nice racket.