Apple Might Be Deliberatly Bricking iPhones Repaired by Unauthorized Techs

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It's still too draconian, IMHO. Detection of the problem that might allow a malicious sensor is good. You provide a pop-up that the fingerprint scanner is insecure and needs to be repaired by Apple (and you train Apple employees to not tell people their phone is bricked), disable Apple Pay and require the user to select another unlock method (including none-- I don't use a lockscreen on my phone). Or require a pin when the sensor is first set up that is required when the error is detected (not ideal, folks might not have the pin handy, but better than total shutdown). That's it. It's up to the user what to do about it, but it is *never* okay to lock a user out of their data and functionality. It's especially bad that this is an after-the-fact change imposed by a new version of the OS made, AFAICT, without much warning or user education. Just another opinion, of course. :vbwink:

One of the reasons I root and use ROMs is the arrogance of all device makers and Google (not just Apple) that they know what's best for me.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, it is draconian. I have no argument against that. But there's plenty of real-life scenarios that I think are similar: a Chevrolet car with the ChevyStar security system locks the owner out if he uses a 3rd-party duplicate key (happened to my brother, the car had to be towed); a safe will permanently lock the door if it detects tampering (once I was using the vendor-supplied key to change lock combination, but I did something not in the intended order); I've seen some laptops lock the BIOS -effectively bricking the computer- if the mainboard battery is removed, presumably because deleting the BIOS password that way can be interpreted as theft.

I think what I mean is that an iphone with its fingerprint sensor and Apple Pay is no longer just a phone. It's a safe holding your money.

But yes, all this is another reason why I buy and use phones that can be rooted and have custom ROMs installed. There we fully agree, Hook.

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I understand your examples and yes, those are the same kinds of things. My Honda is the same way and it annoys me just as much as the Apple example. It's aim is not to prevent car theft so much as to make me go to the original manufacturer and pay more money. I don't know if we have any disagreement here or not, but I think all of those things are bad ideas. :vbwink:

I don't use my smartphone as a wallet, it's true, but I also don't have a lock on my wallet. Especially one that might deny me access if I replaced the lock with a different brand.

Ultimately, this isn't an Apple attack. I want always to be able to determine for myself what my requirements are for security, not Apple, Not Honda, not Symantec, not anyone who profits from setting security. They are welcome to offer different security options, but I want them to remain options.

It's the old "those who give up freedom for security..." etc etc :vbgrin:

And, yes, I know that I have unrealistic expectations. :vbrolleyes:

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I think "outdated" is the word that best fits here <Tapping the floor with cane, raspy shakingly punctuates every syllable> ;)

Seriously now, I agree with what you said above. And that is something that worries me when considering the future of smartphones and technology in general.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jigwashere likes this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

7. RickAgresta

so, the unspoken implication in the article, is you could brick your android, too? or am I sufficiently burned out to be mixing Unix with Linux, as for Android's lineage?

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

This is only an issue on 64 bit iOS devices, not all devices with Unix heritage.

9. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

10. RickAgresta

raspabalsa likes this.