Apple May Be Planning a Replacement for the Newton

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

According to an unconfirmed report, Apple, Inc. is developing a mobile computer larger than an iPhone but smaller than laptop or tablet PC. The rumors of itssize and shapeare drawing comparisons to Apple's Newton, the original PDA.

Seeking Alpha cites unnamed sources when it says Apple is prepping a device with a 5.2-inch, 800-by-480-pixel touchscreen. This will supposedly have a landscape orientation, and be held by the the user between their hands.

It is not expected to have a hardware keyboard; instead it will depend on a virtual one, as the iPhone and iPod touch do, with the user entering text on the screen with their thumbs.

Details are very sketchy at this point, and there is no word on whether this model will run the embedded version of OS X as Apple's handhelds and smartphones do, or the full version of this operating system.

Thisdevice will reportedlynot be thetablet PC that Apple is also rumored to be working on. Thatmodelis expected tohave a significantly larger screen --7 to 10 inches -- and will likely run the full version of OS X.

It is not known when Apple willintroduce this portable device, but Seeking Alpha says it is probably still on the drawing board, andtherefore is likely targeted for release late next year.

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

This is a great time to be alive. So many options to choose from! Who declared the traditional handheld dead?! (Oh, yeah, that was Palm Inc.)

3. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Sounds like a scaled-up Tapwave Zodiac with an Apple OS. Interesting.

4. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

I expect, or at least hope, this to have a 3G connection, and if so, why not also have telephone functionality? Palm has done their best to kill off the traditional handheld by means of a slow, agonizing death of starvation of imagination. But Apple is alive and well.

5. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

ain't that the truth!
    just hope my TX can last until such an alleged device is available. :p

6. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Here's a little additional info

http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...ay-use-intel-menlow-platform-in-upcoming-umpc

A UMPC would explain the iPhone's lack of onboard "Office" capabilities, unlike, say, the Treo & BlackJack. Although Apple has been known to cannibalize its own products, its rare. I think this product may have been in the works for quite some time (provided it exists) and although the iPhone is the flagship portable device, Apple may have purposefully left features off.

I'll bet the iPhone and the UMPC will work together like Palm's Foleo. That would be neat.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

it'd also be something of a slap in the face for Palm, imho :newpalm:

8. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Sounds similar to the Nokia 800 series...but with an Apple OS...give me something the form factor of an Asus Eee and add a PCMIA slot and then we'd have something! (But I guess, if as mentioned above, you throw phone capabilites internal, you could leave that off....)

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Between the iPhone and the iPod Touch, I think that that would be the least of all the ways that Apple is backhanding the Big Orange.

10. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

I'm gonna wait for the Tablet PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.