Apple iPhone 6S Plus

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by EdmundDantes, Dec 22, 2017.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm considering buying an iPhone 6S Plus; but I'm wondering if it's stupid to buy one so many generations out of date. I'm thinking about it because I like the idea of keeping the headphone jack, and new ones are available from Apple, so the battery ought to be good. But of course the new ones are faster, with better screens. The X doesn't really suit me, especially after reading what Lelisa wrote about the screen orientation compromises.

Hook, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

All I know is that mine was always top-notch and a pleasure to use and is proving to be the same for my Son. :thumbsup:

If you're buying new from Apple, go ahead and also pay the $100 +/- for AppleCare+. Then you're covered for an additional year going forward (beyond the purchase warranty year) in case you decide you need to replace the battery at any point. (You'll get a nag note in Settings > Battery when the device detects that a replacement battery is needed.) The battery in "our" iPhone 6S Plus shows no sign of diminishing and I purchased it in Sept 2015. AppleCare+ also covers screen replacements in case of the unforeseen Ooops! :vbeek:

r0k, Hook, jigwashere and 1 other person like this.
  3. r0k

r0k Dazed

I agree except I think the AppleCare gives you a total of 24 months instead of the original 12 months coverage. I've been treated so well by Apple over the years, I consider it a good value. I normally never take extended warranties as they are often a profit center for the companies offering them. No doubt AppleCare is a profit center for Apple but if something does happen, you will be dealing with an outfit that offers the undisputed best customer service experience.

I have the iPhone X. I miss the headphone jack and I lost that crappy little dongle over a year ago. I got one with my iPhone 7 but I didn't get a crappy dongle with my iPhone X. When I got a Square reader to take to book signings, I paid for the $15 lightning to headphone adapter from Square. It works well enough for me to take credit cards but I haven't bothered trying to listen to music with old fashioned headphones with the Square adapter.

I noticed the screen aspect ratio was a little weird at first but I genuinely like the fact that the front of my phone is mostly screen, except for the notch. I can spot an iPhone X from across the room by its notch if its display is on. I prefer FaceID to TouchID because FaceID works in the rain. I have touchscreen gloves and I can unlock and operate my phone in cold weather without taking my gloves off. That's a huge win.

Should you get the 6S Plus? I don't see why not. Apple is not about to obsolete it in the next few years. I wouldn't go any older, though. Bear in mind that by this time next year, any iPhone without full front facing glass will look ancient. When I walk up to a table full of iPhone 8's and older, I already find myself thinking they look ancient. This design came out in 2007. iPhone X is the first major redesign in 10 years. I'll cross post this list to my informal review thread...

Up sides of FaceID no home button:
    1 - No thumbprint ritual every time I want to buy an app, check my bank balance or simply unlock my phone to check email.
    2 - No waking up the phone because something lumpy is in my pocket pushing the home button.
    3 - No clicking the home button every. single. time. I. want. to. switch. to. a. different. app. This is a HUGE deal. A simple swipe up from the bottom of the screen and I'm out of the app I was in.
    4 - Simple hockey stick gesture to get to the app switcher. No more double clicking the home button.
    5 - FaceID works in inclement weather.

Down sides of FaceID no home button:
    1 - Setting raise to wake eats battery life. I have this turned off.
    2 - Setting touch to wake can cause unexpected results like hanging up on a call by inadvertantly touching the screen while putting the phone away while talking on bluetooth. Butt dialing is possible with touch to wake enabled. I have this turned off. The only way I wake my iPhone X is with the power button.
    3 - Sometimes FaceID fails in unusual lighting conditions
    4 - One less user-assignable button behavior. When there was a home button, you could assign triple click to something. Now you can't because it doesn't exist.

4. lelisa13p

r0k, I believe you are correct about AppleCare+. The coverage extends the original warranty time period for an additional year and has traditionally covered 2 screen replacements within that 24 month period. I've edited my original response to reflect the adjusted time covered. Also, nice review points for your preference. :newpalm:

UPDATE (01/02/2018): Battery replacement has become a moot point in the past week, with Apple offering $29 battery replacement to ALL users of iPhone 6 and newer, regardless of whether Apple diagnostic testing shows necessary or not. I haven't seen an expiration date for when the offer will end. It would be excellent if it was open-ended for a one-time use.

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Yes it's a real shame the headphone jack has disappeared from iPhones, especially as they have such great sound quality for those who use good quality IEM's and the like.

6s Plus is a great device for the reduced price now, although I would tend to prefer to buy from somewhere that hasn't neutered it's performance with their updates like Apple will have, I trust Apple a lot more than Microsoft or Google with most things, but certainly not with designed obsolescence to drive new sales, I'm really glad they've been given a bunch of crap publicly over it recently as I think they've been very dishonest about their intentions

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks for the advice. So the AppleCare is an additional 12 months? I probably wouldn't do it for the battery (Apple just reduced the battery cost to $29 for a period of time on 6S/Plus phones); but the screen replacement might make it worth it.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. lelisa13p

I updated my response above. Screen replacement cost on a Plus-sized iPhone is more than $100.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.