Apple "Bootcamp" and Palm Sync?

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by brent, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent

brent Mobile Deity

Hello,
    I am thinking about getting one of the new Macs that can boot Windows using Apple Boot Camp. Has anyone done this and been able to successfully install drivers and syncronize their Palm with Windows Palm Desktop or Outlook? If so was it straight forward or a major hassle?
    Thanks!

2. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

I haven't done it, but supposedly people have even gotten ActiveSync 4 running with BootCamp. With BootCamp, your Mac is a real Windows PC - not an emulator/simulator/whateverator, so why not? Windows doesn't need to know that your Mac has a second identity as the coolest computer in the world. :)

3. brent

brent Mobile Deity

Thanks Jedi, I expected it would probably work. I just don't want to get this cool new computer and then have to do without a Palm, as I've been using them very quite a bit since they first came out.

4. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

I have been an IBM/IBM clone user for all my working life and have been toying with the idea of getting a Mac for home use. It sounds like Bootcamp could allow me to do all the Windoze stuff AND have a Mac. Cool!

5. FerdFerd

FerdFerd Recovering Palm Fiddler

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it seems pretty relevant, and it keeps the related stuff together.

After many years of using only PCs, I now have an almost new Intel Mac at home. I have found that there is no trouble synchronizing my Palm TX with the Windows partition with the hotsync cable. It even works fine when the BootCamp partition is running under the control of VMWare's Fusion.

But, I have not been successful in getting it to synchronize via Wi-Fi. Maybe that's too much to ask, but if anyone hanging around here knows any special tricks to make this happen, I'd be grateful for a pointer to the right place to look. Searching here didn't reveal anything to me, but I could easily have missed something.

Edit: Well, in partial answer to my own question, I am able to hotsync via Wi-Fi to the BootCamp partition if I enter the IP address of the machine, which I get using the IPCONFIG command. I haven't been able yet to hotsync by telling my Palm the name of the computer. The name worked on the PC I used to use.

I am not able so far to get Wi-Fi hotsyncing to run when the BootCamp partition is running under VMWare Fusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.