Apple Begins Banning Hackers/Hacked iPhones from iTunes

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Some well-known iPhone hackers have been banned from using the iTunes Store.

At this point, I'm not clear if their devices are being banned because they have been hacked, or if the hackers have had their accounts blocked because they are hackers. If it's the former, it could be a sign that Apple is going to start blocking all hacked iPhones from using iTunes.

Both the people who are known to have been banned are responsible for finding ways to unlock the iPhone.

You can read more at:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-bans-iphone-hackers-apple-id-from-app-store-9140448/

(I'm a bit swamped with news from the Mobile World Congress today, but I wanted to go ahead and put this up here.)
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

That's interesting. On many levels. As long as it is provided in the EULA, they are well within their rights to do so. I know some will cry foul anyway because Apple is being "heavy-handed."

At one time, I would have been among that crowd. Now, as an owner of an iPod Touch, Macbook and Airport Extreme....not so much. There is a place and a market for technology that, "just works." The "information appliance" model is a valid one. Not the only one....but a valid one.

3. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

After Steve Jobs came back onboard and pulled the plug on Apple clones, Apple has really pushed to "own" every aspect of their brand, including user experience.

Granted, people who hack their iDevices are probably experts in the Apple user experience anyway, but nevertheless, jailbreaking has become so easy that even a total n00b can do it. And its the n00b that will call Apple and say, "It just doesn't work." Apple is washing its hands of these people and it very well has the right to do so.

This weekend I set up my wife's new Windows 7 notebook. Very fine hardware, much prettier OS, but the same old Windows user experience problems. What problems? Mainly every piece of software, needed or not, wanting my attention all at once. MS tries to control the user experience, but it can't because of the free-for-all that is Windows software. Apple is preventing both the desktop and mobile OSes from becoming a free-for-all, which keeps the user experience strong.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Well said. +1

I'd like to see Apple market share grow but only to certain extent. I don't want Apple to have to deal with the billions of hardware, driver and software permutations that continue to make a mess of the Microsoft Windows user experience. For this reason, I'm mostly willing to forgive Apple for its ongoing absolute control policy.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Sorry you had such a bad Win7 experience. I have to say, I really like Win7...I'm a mac girl, but my win7 netbook gets almost as much, if not more time than my macbook these days (the macbook is very old, the netbook is newer and faster).

Aside from the initial round of updates, I haven't had any issues with Win7 having a free-for-all moment. And the update rounds are only annoying because they install individually; apple rounds them up into one big package but it's not so different.

Now, I am slightly biased because I looooove my toshiba, which just survived a nasty encounter with a glass of crystal light and lived to tell the tale. And I don't take any trip overnight or beyond without it, because it's so damn light and small it is easy. And sadly, since I need a PC to remote into work, an iPad wouldn't replace it in my gear bag.

Back on topic: Yes, Apple is within their rights to boot jailbreakers and hackers...and if you don't like it, buy an Android device. :D

6. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

I find it odd that Microsoft is being thought of here as the exact opposite of Apple's absolute control policy. Yes, Apple may be banning hacked iPhones from iTunes - but if you think M$ would never do something like that, you might want to consider that they already did...

7. DragonHunter

Good post RobbM. Lotsa rep...oh wait...well...you know what I mean. ;-)

Guest, good point as well. I keep waiting for the gates to slam on this "Windows Genuine Advantage" thing. The handwriting is on the wall....I'm just waiting to see if they finish their course of action.

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Office Genuine Advantage already shuts you down. Fighting with that at work. *sigh* That is a pain in the a$$.

9. DragonHunter

Well, thankfully it hasn't shut my wife down yet with MSOffice.....

10. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

What QF said out about how every app on her Toshiba didn't act like an attention slut is exactly my point. My wife's new Sony wasn't as bad as her old HP under Win XP, but it was pretty bad. And it was SONY that installed the software, but ultimately it was MS that allowed Sony to do it. Toshiba chose not to fill their machine with potentially useless crapware.

And kudos to Guest for pointing out that MS has done it too, but the difference is that people are so invested in Windows that they just take it. Many MacOS people remember a time when Apple practically sent someone over to hug you if you agreed to develop on the Mac! So when the company they remember starts acting like the company they've loathed for years, it hurts.

Oh and yes, Win 7 is definitely better than XP. Don't have much Vista experience, but its definitely an improvement on the previous OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.