App that automatically resets iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by ward.smith, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

About 2 months ago, my iphone 4 needed a soft reset for the internet to work. Since that time, I have needed increasingly more frequent soft resets. Now I need one every 3 or 4 days. It is not a big deal and it is the price I pay for my type of usage.

I was told that there was an app that would soft reset your iphone automatically every day at a specific time. I have looked on the app store with a variety of searches as well as on google. Does anyone know the name of this app? Has anyone had any experience with it? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

This sounds like something you might find in Cydia. I looked for it at appshopper.com and of as I expected it wasn't there. I took a quick look at the cydia apps and couldn't find it there either.

I don't know how long you had your iPhone 4, but I would talk to Apple about this. I have been in situations where my phone needed a soft reset for something to work properly but those situations are less than once a month.

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I ordered my iphone 4 on Feb. 3 and got it 3 or 4 days later. It is a Verizon iPhone. The first time my internet didn't work, I called Apple and the support guy just had me do the soft reset. That solved the problem.

I have tons of apps that I use constantly many of which depend upon the internet. Having been a Palm user for 15 years, I am used to having a great deal of apps and pushing the limits of a device. I am also used to the need for an occasional soft rest. An acquaintance told me that her son had an app that reset his iphone everyday in the middle of the night. He resets his iphone daily just because it runs better. Sounds like a good idea. She told me she would ask her son and get back to me but has not at this time. I figured someone here would probably know. If she does get back to me, I will post the name of the app. In the meantime I am still hoping someone on this forum has had some experience with it.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Ah, yes...NVBackup could do a reset after the nightly backup cycle on Palm devices.

Did you jailbreak your iPhone? If not, then I am very surprised you'd have to reset it so often. Apple's highly-controlled ecosystem should prevent "bad" apps that would cause this. But, I really know nothing about iPhones, so just making passing comment because I'm bored and don't want to shuffle the papers on my desk. :rolleyes:

Good luck! Wish I could help. :newpalm:

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yea, something sounds off here, if the iPhone isn't jailbroken you shouldn't need to reset it.

The first thing I would do is restore your iPhone. Sync to itunes and back it up, and then restore it. The whole thing can take a while but if there's a remnant of bad code, a half-installed app, or something else misbehaving that should nuke it.

If that fails, take it to an Apple store. You absolutely should not need to reset an iOS device daily, or even weekly...the OS is built around being sandboxed, so any failure of that system is a glitch and not overuse/part of the software package.

However, all this advice goes out the window if you're jailbroken. In that case, I'd restore and not re-jailbreak, see if the problem resolves itself, and then go to the Apple store if it still needs resets in a non-jailbroken state. If it's the jailbreak, try re-jailbreaking and see if that fixes it, or check XDA to see if others are having your issue.

It sounds like the issue is your internet dropping. That almost sounds like a firmware/baseband issue, so my first step would be restoring and reflashing, and if that fails go to the Apple store...it could be a hardware problem. I've never heard of a non-jailbroken iOS device needing ongoing resets, so your issue is definitely NOT normal.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I think you're too used to Palm or perhaps Blackberry devices. I have 300+ apps on my iPhone and iPad and I have to struggle to remember the last time I decided I ever needed to do a reset. Soft resets "just because" are an unstable OS thing, possibly relevant on Android not iOS. iOS devices don't "run better" if you reset them.

iOS devices do seem to run better if you double click the home button from time to time (roughly weekly) and close the 50 to 100 apps that are "sleeping" in the background. iOS has a very good system for spotting "bad apps".

Never ever and I do mean never install an iOS app without reading the reviews in the app store. If I see "crashes all the time" in a review, I usually forget about the app and move on. If I have an app that is getting updates twice a week, I usually delete it if I don't use it often as it's wasting my time. If I see "in app purchases" for features I think I need, which implies I can't test them without spending money, I move on.

I don't think there are any iOS apps that can "make your device unstable." Thankfully that is all behind us (non jailbreakers) now. There are apps that can drain battery or take up too much memory. I avoid those multi-gigabyte apps like the plague. Unless it's a turn by turn map app, I don't need that much stuff on my device.

7. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Even with Android, this would be bizarre behavior. On Android it is probably easier to get a misbehaving app than on iOS, but more often than not, it simply affects the behavior of that app, not the rest of the system. I've maybe done a soft reset 4-5 times since I got it in March of 2010, and that's with rooting and an alternate ROM.

Ward, you spent too long with Palm. Soft resets aren't normal. :rolleyes:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Just to rub it in, I rarely reset my WinMo phone. I think it crashed or froze on me a couple of times. Then again, my phone can't cook bacon or serve beer like iOS or Android phones.

9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

10. Green Loontern

Green Loontern Gustatus similis pullus

I've found the same thing. Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone found a non-Jailbreak app that flushes out these sleeping apps?