App Row Moved to Right Side in Landscape

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Dec 13, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I got nothin... absolutely nothin... :/

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I don't have much either. On my G8 Power with Android 10, indeed the dock is on the right (which on a phone in landscape is where I want it. On my 10.5" Samsung Tablet running the Android 7 equivalent of Lineage, the dock is on the bottom in Landscape. And, in both cases, I see no way to change that behavior. I can't get the Android 10 phone to put the dock at the bottom in landscape and I can't get the Android 7 big tablet to put it on the right. So maybe it is an Android 10 thing? I just don't know. Nova's support of Landscape is minimal-- I don't think they really test landscape use cases, as is shown by the way widgets get stretched when you shift to landscape.

headcronie, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks HC & Hook - I guess I'll just have to live with it. I really like Nova Launcher for the way I can lock my screen and it doesn't get changed accidently and secondly, the way it puts the icons in alphabet order in my folders.

Again, I would use Nova Laucher on my Moto G Stylus but I like to "clear all" my apps that are open, even though Android manages all well. I just like to keep things tidy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

headcronie, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Sorry I didn't see this until now -- I'm running Nova Launcher on my Moto G Stylus and it doesn't have the clear all option. This is apparently a known thing with Android 10 and 3rd-party launchers. I don't like how limited the stock Android launcher is so I accepted the trade-off of losing that and the new gestures.

I've had mixed encounters with the your dock problem myself. With both my Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 and my sons' old Nook Colors (that converted to tablets with CyanogenMod) I could never get the Nova to keep the dock on the bottom in landscape mode. This was a huge annoyance with my Samsung Camera. Because it's a camera it's almost alway held in landscape mode, and the TouchWiz/OS version on it is ancient so I needed to customize the launcher more (hence adding Nova). Anyway, my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet is running either a Nougat version of Resurrection Remix ROM, and it has always kept the dock on the bottom of the screen regardless of the orientation.

Anyway, in trying to resolve it on my other devices, I found out that quite a few people have been able to resolve the issue by changing the System font size (not the Nova Launcher font size) to something smaller and then it keeps the dock on the bottom of the screen. One thing to "note" tho (sorry) is that the Note 10.1 2014 has hardware buttons on it, so that may be the difference. My camera and the Nook Colors were also running really old versions of Android, too, whereas the Note 10.1 2014 was running Nougat, so it may be that only certain versions of Android will keep the dock on the bottom. When I enable rotation on my Moto G Stylus, the dock moves to the right no matter what I do.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that the system font size/zoom setting is key.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm just wondering if a work around, in the event you can't find a solution, would be to simply eliminate the dock. Why have it? What's it good for? Just add a shortcut to the apps you have in your dock to each of your home screens. Wouldn't that work? :) All you'd have to do is eliminate the dock and add an additional row to your home screen grid.

EDIT: Oh....the navigation buttons don't move. Never mind.

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thanks for the link!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

8. internetpilot

Thanks for whoever mentioned Nova Launcher 7 was available in Beta (too lazy to scroll back through to see who did it -- sorry) , because I'm now on Nova Launcher 7. For those who are thinking about doing the same, it DOES replace/update your current version Nova Launcher rather than just being another launcher option, and it did reset several cosmetic settings and a couple of UI settings. None of these settings were "new", but it's likely just handled a different way now so they were reset back to the default or something. VERY fast, VERY smooth. I've decided to switch my whole phone over to "dark mode" including in the Android settings as well as Nova Launcher 7 settings. Some I'm dark, kewl, and brooding now just like all the other...ah...50+ year old kids these days.

Incidentally, while still on Nova Launcher 6 and trying to "fix" the dock rotation issue using my Moto G Stylus, I ended up messing up my access to the Google Companion (left-most home screen) integration. It just wouldn't load. Eventually I got it to work again by clearing cache/data on the Google app, turning on/off the integration in Nova Launcher settings, and rebooting my phone as well as restarting Nova Launcher a couple of times. But it was still a little glitchy and would disappear from time to time. Ever since I installed Nova Launcher 7 Beta it's been working fine again like it always did. Swiping home screens is just soooooo fast now, as is the app drawer. Very pleased! It definitely doesn't seem like a Beta (at least not so far).

As far as Android 10 gesture navigation, I still can't enable it -- it says that it's not compatible with my choice of home launcher. Not sure why that article claims it is.

9. internetpilot

(Excuse me as I reply to myself)

Actually IP, the reason why the article says that gestures work in Nova Launcher Beta but it's not working on your Moto G Stylus is you have to have the December security update from Google and the the Moto G Stylus is still on September. Good ol' Motorola... :rolleyes:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust…?