[APP] PHEM - Palm Emulator for Android (that DOESN'T cost $50!)

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ray Ingles, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Palm made the change with Palm OS 5. Any app which requires POS 5 or newer will most likely not run. Unfortunately, that's probably most of the apps developed after 2002.

2. Ray Ingles

Ray Ingles Mobile Enthusiast

It's not quite that bad. What OS 5 added was a faster processor, higher-res screen, and a couple of APIs for multimedia. If the app didn't need video or rich sound or fast graphics, or needed a lot of CPU juice, developers tended to keep at least OS4 compatibility just so they didn't close themselves off from potential customers.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

There are some apps I use that might work with this because they worked on Palms going back to the Vx.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

You should be good, for those <yup>

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Ray Ingles

BTW, if anyone has the source code for Sony's Clie emulator, I'd love to add support for those Palms into PHEM! It doesn't seem to be on the net anymore, but it was released under the GPL so someone may still have it out there.

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Ray - I just installed PHEM & I am VERY impressed. The only thing that I now use Palm OS for is the MyBible app from Laridian. Laridian has an app for android called PocketBible - but MyBible on Palm OS does much better text searches than the newer Android app - PocketBible.

The great thing about Laridian is - once you have bought something it is yours to use - no matter even if you change platforms. So all the Bible translations & commentaries & dictionaries I purchased for Palm OS I can use now in Android.

Laridian offers the app, (MyBible for Palm OS or PocketBible for Android, iOS & Window Phones) for free that runs all the Bible translations & commentaries & dictionaries - but you have to purchase the translations & commentaries & dictionaries to use with the app. MyBible 5.0 is the latest Palm OS on their site. I downloaded it & installed it - but it didn't work, it was written for Palm OS 5.0. So I shared that with support & they put MyBible 4.0 on my account as a download - BUT - I had the same problem. I shared that again with them & they made 3.0 version available for me to download & IT WORKED!

I like how PHEM uses my entire screen & preserves the old graffiti area for writing. StyleTap seems to use a Centro like skin & I have to use my small input for Android Graffiti to write in.

Thanks for a great app. It's a good thing it took you this long though to develop it - if you came out with it 3-4 years ago I still may be using Palm OS for everything.

I'll post pictures comparing PHEM with StyleTap next.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Hook likes this.
  7. scjjtt

PHEM home screen vs StyleTap

uploadfromtaptalk1396503523360.jpg i
    uploadfromtaptalk1396503635081.jpg

8. scjjtt

Using MyBible on PHEM vs Stylep

uploadfromtaptalk1396503846398.jpg

[​IMG]

9. Ray Ingles

I'm glad you enjoy it! As a suggestion... if you can find a ROM for a Handera 330, that had a higher-resolution screen. You'd probably be able to fit more text on the screen at a time. (Although, their version history version history says they don't support italics on the Handera, so that might be a deal-breaker.)

A kind user from Japan actually did send me the source code for Sony's Clie emulator, and I'm working on converting it for use with PHEM. That will - eventually - allow 320x320 resolution. But it's tougher than converting the original POSE, as Sony's code is Windows-only. I have to reimplement a lot of fucntionality in Linux/Android style. Can't even guess how long that'll take, at present.

10. lastphaseofthis

lastphaseofthis Newbie

howdy, loaded this app in my phone to get away from using POSE on my old dell laptop for tuning an automotive ecu using a palm based app.

The ecu currently works with many palms using rs232 on the ecu. the palms use the hotsync cable directly to the ecu. You can also use POSE on winxp/7 as long as you have a native serial port. you can also use styletap and a serial to bluetooth dongle(plugged into the ecu).

I would like to get Phem working and help out my little community of broke FC rx7 tuners.
    if i had a serial port(rs232 not usb) on an android tablet then it would work instantly, but usb to serial adapter don't work..
    i'm looking for bluetooth help... if i had an andriod tablet that has an sd card slot you could try this
    [​IMG] Amazon.com: PalmOne Bluetooth SDIO Card, US: Electronics

the phem software supports emulating those sdio cards but i can't find the bluetooth file to save to my phone to make the link between them work.
    thanks in advance.