[APP] PHEM - Palm Emulator for Android (that DOESN'T cost $50!)

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ray Ingles, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Ray Ingles

Ray Ingles Mobile Enthusiast

PHEM (the Palm Hardware Emulator M68k) is a new app for Android that emulates the hardware of many different models of Palm PDA.
    It supports up to Palm OS 4.2 and runs thousands of Palm applications, utilities, games, and hacks.

Other Palm emulators exist for Android - but cost $50. PHEM, on the other hand, is available in the Google Play Store for the traditional 99 cents.

Full documentation, screenshots, and videos are available at perpendox.com.

Features:
    • Supports black and white, grayscale, 8-bit, and 16-bit color. It even supports the Handera 330's "High Res" grayscale screen!
    • Supports sound and (for versions of the Palm OS that support it) vibration.
    • Supports multiple different "sessions" emulating different Palms - multiple models, multiple versions of a single model, or both.
    • Allows you to use your device's storage as a virtual expansion card.
    • Emulated Palms can communicate using your device's network connection (wifi or cellular).
    • Supports cutting and pasting text between the emulated Palm and your device.
    • Supports hardware keyboards if present on your device.
    • Supports "skin" files that precisely mimic the appearance of particular Palm devices.
    • Supports most Palm "Hacks".

PHEM is based on the Palm OS Emulator, a development and debugging tool originally created by Greg Hewgill and later developed by Palm, Inc. Full source is available under the GNU Public License.

r0k, Mi An, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand, and thanks for posting. I'll be sure to check it out tonight -- needless to say, there are still some things that Palm OS apps do better than *anything* else.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Looks very interesting. Needs a ROM image--I'll have to see if I still have one from the POSE emulator for Windows--I think I extracted my m125's ROM years ago.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's very promising. Thanks for posting that.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Tom LaPrise

Seems to work well, though it really reminds me of how far we have come with handheld electronics! I have HellClock on my Galaxy S II now. :)

scjjtt likes this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

7. Tom LaPrise

One thing I'd like to see... the default HotSync name is PHEM, and if I use ChangeName to change it to my Palm HotSync name so I can run my registered apps, the HotSync name reverts back to PHEM after a while. It would be nice to have the change "stick."

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. Ray Ingles

Ah, my first bug report! That has to be a leftover from the original POSE. I know where that's set up, expect an update soon.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Tom LaPrise

HotSync name can now be changed in PHEM's advanced settings. :)

10. Ray Ingles

Yup, please do let me know of bugs or feature requests. I can't promise to fix everything, but I'll certainly do what I can. And, of course, worst case I do provide the source if people want to take a crack at their own updates. :)