App Permission History - What you find may surprise you

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by headcronie, Oct 25, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So, my Note 8 just got the October security patch.

Unbeknownst to me, in Oreo, a feature was added that provides app permission requests, and provides you with a history of requests. Well, it appears the October patch must have flipped the bit on this for me, as I've never seen this level of notification before.

Interestingly enough, not all apps are available to monitor or see history on. Facebook and Messenger are excluded. Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite are not excluded.

But what really got me, was what apps were abusing their permission requests, when the app wasn't even open. And what really, really ticked me off, was this was an app I paid for.

I found that SpeedTest by Ookla, was requesting a GPS fix, when the app was closed, nearly 60 requests between 11pm, and 6am. No, no, and no! That's utter BS.

I've gone into every app available for monitoring, and enabled every monitor for every app. I'm hoping I don't find more apps that are abusing permission requests. SpeedTest should request a GPS fix when I go to test, not every few minutes whether or not I'm using the app. Needless to say, SpeedTest has been sent to the shredder.

You can get into App Permission Monitoring and History by going to:
    Settings > Lock screen and security > App Permission Monitor

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

That might be a Samsung tweak, as I have the October update and do not have that. Or it may be because I'm on an alternate ROM. Dunno.

3. headcronie

That, I've got no clue on. An article from way back in 2017 was talking about it, and at that point, was indicating that it was on Samsung. Whether or not it is Samsung specific... I've not had enough time to look.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. headcronie

5. headcronie

This is what it shows for bacbackgrounds requests since yesterday, and now without SpeedTest.

Also gives reason why FB isn't monitored. It is a built in app and those are not monitored. Grrr.[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

There was an article in the Times that tested what info an Android phone gathered when it was supposedly off and in airplane mode and with no SIM (I think) and it was astonishing, so the data collection is even at a level way above app permissions it seems to me. As soon as they reactivated the phone, all the info popped up (like location data, etc.).

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  7. headcronie

Not surprising at all. You're the product. You're the one being sold. Doesn't matter what platform you're on.

Now then, we've noticed that you've taken notice of the activities going on in your personal device. Please step into this room for discussion. *never to be heard from again*

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

CheckIcon.gif am at work, no big zippy here...

scjjtt, lelisa13p, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I haz your big zippy. :vbsmile:

Zippy's Box_Green.png