App for tracking lost/stolen phone

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I might revisit my decision to go with Lookout. I recently received an email from them saying they missed me (???) and wanted me to fill out a survey for why I left or am no longer using their app. When I go to their website on my PC, I get the following error message:

"Your device hasn't connected to Lookout recently. Your device may be switched off, or the Lookout app may have been deleted from the device."

None of this is true, and my phone has a data connection on all the time these days (after I discovered that at most I lose 5% of my battery leaving 3G on all night). When I go into the app on my phone and go into Settings, Account, it displays the message:

"An error has occured reaching, most likely due to a bad internet connection. Please try again later."

Reaching what? Something seems to be missing there. The internet connection on my phone is fine -- I can surf, get email, Facebook app works, sync works, etc. And the app has never been deleted -- in fact, it was just updated automatically via the Market the other day.

Anyway, I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about this app making sure my phone is secure/safe. Depending on what their support team comes back with I might be switching security apps. It's not that I feel any of these apps do even half a job of keeping viruses, trojan apps, etc., off my phone, but if they're not doing anything for my phone, I see no point in running the app at all.

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Weird. My account is fine, even though I'm in the latter part of my daily 9 hours in a building with no cellular or wifi. Let us know what they say.

4. internetpilot

I wouldn't have noticed anything if Lookout hadn't sent me a "sorry to see you go" email, apparently because their app notified them that it had been deleted from my phone????

Very weird.

A security app needs to be more reliable, though. It definitely doesn't generate confidence that the app will be working, say, when I lose my phone and try to track it...

5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I installed the Lookout trial, and uninstalled it after I found that it used so much CPU time and bandwidth that it slowed everything to a crawl. I've just deleted all the emails they sent me afterwards. IP, by chance you didn't have just the demo, and not the paid app? AFAIK the demo dies after a set time period, and it's the same as if you removed it, I think. You have to pay to keep it going. But perhaps you knew that and if so, you need to try to get your money back or get it fixed.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Internetpilot, have you contacted their support? Unless it loses data and/or settings, can you delete it and reinstall? Remember, you rooted and updated your device.

7. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I tried Plan B, and it works. It showed my phone in the wrong room in the house, but close enough given the poor GPS reception I get inside. It's not something you want to install and leave on the phone, because it sends SMS messages repeatedly until you uninstall it, but if you lose your phone, it's probably worth the cost of the text messages to get it back. I can't believe they're not charging for this. I would expect to see it go to a paid system sometime in the not-so-distant future. It's certainly worth a dollar or two to get a location for your phone if it's missing.

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

You don't have to pay. Pay is just to get the premium services. And it has never slowed down my Nexus One, nor used excessive bandwidth. Lookout runs just fine for free. Curiously, the free version includes the phone locator. The premium has the remote lock and remote wipe.

Have to say, I've never had a bit of a problem with Lookout.

I do hope it gets resolved.

9. internetpilot

Well, it's apparently all good -- probably just a glitch. A rather speedy response from Lookout support:

Again, I never disabled Lookout. I definitely never did anything on purpose, and honestly cannot think of anything that I've done where that would've been the side effect. I'm not running any type of automatic service/app terminator.

The only thing questionable that I've done to my phone in the last month is try the CyanogenMod 7 rc2 ROM and Myn's Warm Z ROM. I truly did just try these ROMs though -- didn't stick with them for longer than an hour each, and never restored my files or apps, and then just did a nandroid restore to get my usual ROM with all apps/data back.

Also, Lookout has been scanning every app update or new app that I install. Apparently, what they were referring to was the weekly scans which send a message back to the Lookout website which then sends me an email telling me everything is okay with my phone.

I think it was a glitch where the Lookout configuration became corrupt. So, I followed the above instructions, re-signed in with my Lookout username/password, and now everything is working fine.

I'm filing this in the little drawer 4 over and 2 down in my brain's filing cabinet to remember the next time I get this message. ;)

10. internetpilot

When I rooted my device, I reinstalled all my apps rather than restoring it. I did restore some data via Titanium Backup, but that data didn't include configuration files. I was advised to do this by long-time root'ers because depending on the app, sometimes it can be bad to just restore the app, config, and data to a rooted phone. Plus, I don't have that many apps on my phone, and it was a good time to clean out the residue of tried/deleted apps from my first month of phone ownership where I went APP CRAZY in the Market! Haha.

Yes, I did contact their support and they answered very quickly. I'm very pleased about that. Not too happy about the app glitching like this, but things happen and for all I know it could be an Android problem and not a Lookout problem. I'll watch it closely now that I know what to look for. If it keeps happening, I'll shoot them another email. If it still continues, I'll move to a different app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.