App for tracking lost/stolen phone

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

2. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

As soon as I installed Norton, I uninstalled Lookout. But now I'm still getting weekly messages from them about running a scan, or something. It's notified by a big "M" at the top left of my screen, where a missed call or text message notification symbol would normally be.

How do I stop these messages, please?

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Does this "big M" look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, that's a GMail notification, which still makes sense because you will get Lookout Security status messages via whatever email account you setup with them. The weird part is why it's still sending these status messages when you removed the app.

If you really don't want to use Lookout anymore, I would delete the account on their website. Go to https://www.mylookout.com/account (you'll have to sign in), and beneath the list of your account information, you should see a "Delete your account" link. Click on that and follow the instructions and I bet you'll stop getting email/notifications from them.

Good luck and please report back if that worked.

4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Yes, they are very good with cancelling accounts-- one of the first things I tested. I'm back with Lookout and leaving 3G on full time. It just really is the best tracking/wiping option out there for Android.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Are you using the subscription service or just the free features? I've been tempted to do the subscription just for the remote lock feature. I doubt I'd ever want to wipe it.

Hmmmm...now that I have rooted my Evo, I wonder if it's easy to get around the lock by just removing/replacing the battery and then booting into recovery? Might have to test that or at least ask Lookout about the scenario.

6. Hook

I'll probably go for the subscription-- I would like wipe as an option. They tell me, but I haven't yet tested, that it wipes the SD card as well. It's kind of like leaving my 3G on-- I hope I don't need it, but if I ever do...

Good question-- I haven't gotten as far as recovery mode. I'll be looking into unlocking bootloader, recovery and ROMs this week-end. ;)

7. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I am using Lookout too... I like the free option. The "scream" feature is pretty nifty.

Don't use the anti-virus though...

8. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Yes, internetpilot, that's the "M". I'll follow your directions to the lookout web site, and hopefully that should end the matter.

Interesting to hear that you're back with Lookout, Hook. I like simple things, so what put me off was (a) requiring 3G on to function fully and (b) the fact that it was always displaying an icon at the top of my screen, which made me think it might consume more battery because it's always on. Norton, on the other hand, seems to be dormant until it's woken up by a text message and, if my phone is able to get a GPS signal, I'm sure it's accuracy will be better than it was in my brief test.

9. Hook

I understand completely your aversion to a). b) is nominal, there is very little battery usage caused by the monitor.

In my tests of Norton (with GPS) it was much more inaccurate (we are talking blocks). Also, for me, the directness of doing it on the web without having to work from a text message URL is simpler. To me, that is worth the little it costs me to keep my 3G turned on all the time (I still mostly use wifi).

The ideal, of course, would be a program that did both web and sms. Seems crazy they don't.

10. kam187

kam187 Mobile Evangelist

Personally i use wave secure. If you were around during the beta you get a free sub for it now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.