App for tracking lost/stolen phone

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Excellent experiment, Hook. I'll be following the results in the other thread. I don't have an unlocked phone, and I'm one of the masses being mugged monthly via a data plan (even worse, I'm paying extra for 4G, but at least I have access to it for most of the day, 5 days/week), but I still find the experiment interesting.

2. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I've installed Norton beta, and I've just tested it with my daughter's phone. My phone was in the house, and I saw that Norton had activated its GPS when it got the "locate password" message. But after about 5 minutes it couldn't get a satellite signal, so it sent a location back to my daughter's phone based on cell signals, which it said was accurate to 75 metres. Presumably the accuracy will be something like 10 metres if it can get a GPS signal when it's stolen or lost.

That's good enough for me, so I see no need to go for Lookout.

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

It had me a block and a half away from the phone's real location, whereas Lookout practically identified the room it was in. That said, I do think Norton is good enough. However, for now, I'm having fun with my data experiment and learning a lot. ;)

4. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

XDA has a couple of free options...

5. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

For rooted or non-rooted? Links?

I'm not ruling out rooting, but I probably wouldn't consider it before getting Gingerbread OTA. XDA is a little over my head.

6. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I think unrooted...

I consider myself fairly technical, and XDA, often, is admittedly way over my head...

Links coming...

7. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

I tried tracking my phone using Lookout and it showed a location around 5 minutes walk from my house. This would cover hundreds of houses so not much use if stolen. Is there anything I'm missing here as I don't seem to be getting the same reults as others?

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I was thinking the same thing about Gingerbread OTA, but after brain-sucking on XDA for, oh, 48 hours straight I realized that my best chance of getting Gingerbread with Sense UI sooner rather than later is probably through a custom ROM. It takes Sprint/HTC forever + one day to produced OTA OS updates for any phone with Sense UI. At best, sometimes the custom ROM updates come before the Sprint OTA ones, and at worst I'm waiting days for the custom ROM version to be released after the OTA hits the airwaves.

So, I rooted (unrEvoked 3.32) and flashed a very well-supported custom ROM (Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RLS5) as well as a well-tested kernel (Netarchy Toastmod CFS HAVS 4.3.2). All I can say is...WOW. Absolutely no regrets at all, and zero problems with the whole process. Easy and painless. I had more trouble upgrading from a Palm Tungsten|C to a Palm T|X!

Forget about all the other benefits (and there's quite a list) -- just the battery life alone makes it all worth it. Previously when I would come home from work my battery would typically be around 30%. Now? 85%. I kid you not! I've noticed no negative performance impacts to get that either. The phone works like a horse when it needs to, but otherwise it's incredibly light on the battery.

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to root, even if you don't do a custom ROM/kernel. Now that I've experience all three, I don't think I'll ever own a stock Android phone.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar to the conversation. If you want, I'll be happy to look into the XDA tracking apps that require root, and compare them to both Lookout and Norton unrooted.

9. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I wanna try Myn's... it gets a lot of good commentary. Congrats on the root! :) easy as pie, right?

*sigh* I forgot to link to the XDA apps...

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.