App for tracking lost/stolen phone

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

It would be nice to have the web site option as well. However, if you lose the phone, you send a text from another phone (your wife has one, no?). I used my son's phone to test everything. I sent a text to my phone and my phone sent back a text with the Google map url. Or I can send a text to lock or wipe the phone. As I say, this is great because it only requires voice to be on, not data or wifi.

The text formats are not hard to remember: the commands are Locate, wipe or lock followed by a code which you choose. In case, I have them in an Evernote, which I can access from any computer with a browser.

Lookout has the website, but it requires data or wifi to be on and connected, which makes it fairly useless to me.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, since I'm not with my wife for an average of 12 hours out of the day that I'm awake, I'd have to say that the chances are high that I would not have my wife's phone available to me for use to track my lost or stolen phone. I mean, I guess I could ask a stranger to use their phone, but since that's not really going to tell me where my lost or stolen phone is, it's not really doing me much good. I don't think it's exactly appropriate for me to not only ask if I can send a text, but wait until I receive one back with a link that's going to require me to use their data plan minutes to view it all because I opted for a PAYG data plan which dictated my choice in security/tracking apps...haha.

I have to say that in their current respective incarnations that Lookout is more useful to most people. I think relatively few people are doing a PAYG data plan with their smartphone, especially when almost every smartphone requires a data plan when you buy it unless you pay full price for the phone (which, again, most people don't do regardless of it being cheaper in the long run).

As usual, the best solution would be a combination of both. The answer? Well, duh...Symantec needs to buy out Lookout Security. I'm actually surprised they didn't do that from the very beginning rather than putting out their own app. I mean, that's what they did with Norton AV a long time ago.

I'm still keeping my eye on this app, but I won't likely use it until/if they offer website access in addition to SMS.

3. Hook

Yes, bottom line, if you have an unlimited data plan, Lookout is the better choice.

I'm happy though that I have an option iI can use. By the way, I can send text messages from the web using Google Voice and I believe there are other web based SMS options. However, I am generally around people I would have no qualms about asking if they would help me locate my phone if I thought I lost it.

4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Like Hook, I've got 3G permanently switched off. I use my phone as a phone (with text), a calculator, a note-taker, a calendar, a music player, a games machine, and a GPS device and, only when I've got a Wi-Fi connection, do I use it to connect to the internet.

I've downloaded the Norton app and, to me, it seems just right. I'll use my wife's, or a friend's, phone to send and receive the appropriate message.

5. internetpilot

Relatively few people have a GoogleVoice account as well, but point taken, as there are typically web based SMS options offered from the service providers' websites. You can do that from the Sprint website but I don't think you can receive texts (not sure about other providers) so you wouldn't be able to view the location map link.

I wish one or the other app would offer both methods, as that would make that app the clear winner and best option for all customers in all situations. Makes you wonder if it won't be a 3rd developer who comes along to do the job right. I'm a little surprised that's not Norton, but the app is still in beta, so......

6. Hook

This conversation has made me curious-- what would happen if I left 3G data on, but didn't use it? Given the wifi priority rule and all my syncing is set to manual, would much more 3G get used.

The experiment is described here:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/posts/1824736/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  7. internetpilot

Very true. You'd have to watch what apps you have installed. I can't remember what app or phone function it was, but there have been a couple times now where I got a message saying something to the effect of 3G was needed and WiFi couldn't be used for whatever my phone or app was trying to do.

I did notice and really like that WiFi priority feature.

8. Hook

I think that actually happens more with carrier installed apps. I don't have a carrier ROM on my Nexus One. We'll see. I'll post the results updates in my other thread.

9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

If you left 3G data on, you would never be sure that the phone isn't using it. What about those ads in Grafiti, for instance? I don't get them unless my phone's connected to the internet via Wi-Fi so, presumably, Grafiti would connect using 3G if I was out of Wi-Fi range.

10. Hook

That's why I am doing the experiment. I have 3G dog which tracks all 3G usage and I can use it to set alerts or close the 3G pipe on certain events (see the other thread for more details). I use the ad-free/no network version of Grafitti and mostly pay to get rid of ads on any app I really like.

I want to know exactly what happens when you leave 3G on, not guess. Going to find out. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.