AOL email unable to display attachments

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by stlucia, Feb 19, 2021.

1. stlucia

stlucia Mobile Consultant

I'm on the road at the moment, so have been using my iPad to read and send emails on two AOL accounts. Up until a couple of days ago I was using Apple's own email app that comes as standard, but it suddenly was unable to access one of my AOL accounts, giving 'wrong email address or password' message. After checking and resubmitting both, I gave up and installed AOL's own app.

With the AOL app I've been able to register both email accounts (same addresses and passwords as before) and read and send emails. My present problem is with one email I received yesterday; it was supposed to have a document attached to it, and in the preview it shows the paperclip symbol, but when I open the email there's no sign of the paperclip or of any attachment.

I replied to the sender saying I couldn't see the attachment, but then I decided to look at the same email using the AOL app on my Android phone, and there I was able to see the attachment straight away. So, any ideas how I can open the attachment on my iPad please?

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Web browser to mail.aol.com

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. stlucia

Thanks headcronie. Using my browser (Chrome) to go to mail.aol.com works the same as the AOL app except it now displays a paperclip and a message saying there's 3 attachments when I open the email in question, but clicking on the paperclip does nothing. I still can't open the attachments.

The disadvantage of going the browser route, rather than the AOL app, is that I seem to be able to log in only one user (i.e. email address) at a time.

lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

In Chrome settings, select 'Desktop site' and see if that helps.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Alternately, use another browser to login to the 2nd account.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  6. stlucia

Well, my native iOS email app seems to have given up altogether, it's not retreiving emails from either of my accounts now. I suspect it's something to do with AOL, for a couple of months ago I was forced to go through some procedure involving a computer-generated long password in order to continue to use 3rd-party email apps with AOL, on my Windows/Thunderbird PC as well as on my tablet and phone.

Anyway, I'm getting used to the AOL app now, even though I haven't figured how to view attachments with the iOS version (it works fine on the Android version on my phone). So I'll stick with it until I get home, and see if I can configure it to be more user-friendly, such as by showing a list of accounts and folders at the left instead of me having to go back to Home each time to select a different one.

7. headcronie

Yep, had a friend request help doing the same thing. Switching away from passwords and using something more like OAuth for 3rd party clients.

You may need to delete AOL from you iOS email app and re-add it to trigger the new login method.

8. stlucia

I already deleted the email account that wasn't working properly (the other one was still working at the time), and then reinstalled it without any error messages, but that's when the other account stopped working!

I'll try to 'factory reset' the iOS email app, and see what happens.

jigwashere, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  9. stlucia

According to Google it seems there's no way to reset the iOS email app other that factory resetting the whole iPad, which I'm not about to do. I've deleted the account that was working, so no accounts on it now, but it won't register the accounts when I now try to add them back. No error messages, just nothing happens after I select AOL from the list then input email address and password.

So I continue now with the not-so-user-friendly AOL app on my iPad, with the same app on my Android phone as backup if I need to read attachments!

scjjtt likes this.
  10. headcronie

That is just odd. Wish I had more ideas, but I don't have (nor desire) any Apple products, so I am mostly shooting in the dark. Sorry. :(

scjjtt likes this.