Anyone successfully cast a screen to another Android device?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, Aug 30, 2015.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Last night, I decided to try to optimize my upstairs wifi signal, where my laptop is, as well as my Tab 3 7" wifi tablet; the location is as far away from the router as possible while staying in the house. What I wanted to do was cast the screen of the tablet to my phone, with the tablet in its usual place, while I played around with orienting the router (the intent was to save me from making a change in how the router was positioned, then going up to the 2nd floor from the basement to see how it affected the signal..). I wound up compromising, by just looking at the signal strength on my phone which was in the basement but reasonably far away -- I was seeing a signal strength of 45% (arbitrary units, I think) initially, and then 99% after re-positioning the antenna. Got a better signal upstairs, too.

I didn't spend hours on the Play store, but did spend enough time to see that many apps that claimed to cast screens really acted only to share files. Long story short, ScreenShare appeared to be able to do what I wanted, particularly since it comes in a version for a phone, and another one for a tablet. I couldn't make it work, though. I did pair up the 2 devices in their respective apps, but I did not see anything useful.

Any suggestions? I've easily cast my Android screen via Chromecast to a television, but that wasn't an option in this case. TIA

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've casted from one Android device to another, using AllCast and its companion app AllCast Receiver. Launch the receiver app, it just sits there apparently doing nothing, waiting for AllCast to detect it and start streaming. It works quite well, both audio and video play nicely, although some videos refused to stream, and AllCast shows no info about this. I've streamed from my Sony Xperia Z1 to an LG Optimus L5 and an Alcatel Pop C7.

Since I don't expect to do this regularly I didn't purchase the AllCast app, just used the trial version for my tests.

My Xperia Z1 has a "Throw" feature that works very well with my TVs, but it does not stream to other Android devices, or at least I haven't been able to do so.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Is it possible to use remote control apps like Teamviewer (perhaps through a browser on one device)?

RickAgresta likes this.