Anyone still making NEW Axim Batteries?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Ashton, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I think the battery in my X51v is dieing, I've noticed it lasting shorter and shorter times (atleast it seems that way, it comes on, BTs to my phone, and checks my email every 2 hours so that might affect it too) It also seems to be losing more life when suspended than before.

I know an original battery wont be much better since these are all several years old. Are there any companies still making NEW batteries that fit the Axim X51v?

2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

As it turns out, I recently purchased one myself; a Mugen HLI-X50SL - Standard-size Hi-Power 1100mAh 3.7V Li-ion rechargable; "Product is still available in limited quantities", mine was new and has a sticker proclaiming the date of manufacture and inspection as "01/08". Mugen charges US$36.15 (with "Free Worldwide Shipping") but you can purchase it cheaper from other vendors, I paid about $19 (plus $8 shipping) to somebody on eBay.

Mugen also makes the HLI-X50EX (Extended-size Super Hi-Capacity 3300mAh), HLI-X50XL (Extended-size Hi-Capacity 2800mAh), and HLI-X50ML (Extended-size Medium Hi-Capacity 1800mAh); though - as the descriptors imply - they are physically larger than the -SL version. I was tempted, but then I'd be stuck using a leather case forever.

Lenmar offers PDADX50X (2200mAh) and PDADX50 (1100mAh) batteries ... although they are intended for X50v they will work fine in an X51v. I imagine the larger (2200mAh) version is physically larger. I've never been disappointed with Lenmar batteries (in fact, my old battery is a PDADX50 and I can't wait to take it apart), but I found a better price on the Mugen this time around.

You can decide if it's time to replace your battery by running some kind of battery meter/benchmark software. (I use Anton Tomov's Pocket Battery Analyzer ... it cost me $7 for a "lifetime" license, so I can use it forever on any WM device I like. There's probably tons of software of the sort that's free.)

3. Ashton

great. Once I sell/trade this treo I'll probably pick one up. Tempted to get the extra-large one and just cut a hole in the back of my rhinoskin...

4. Konrad Pierce

I think there was a guy here in B/S/T who offers some kind of monster battery ... something like 4000-6000mAh if I recall correctly.

5. Ashton

O_O wow...

but I take your 6000mah battery and raise you a 10100mah battery! *plops eee battery on the table* yep, seriously, there is a 10110mah battery for the eee... lasts 8 hours...

I will be looking into that, if I'm gonna cut up my case for a battery it might as well be a super-battery!

6. Konrad Pierce

If you're gonna go extreme, you might as well just order a laptop battery that's the same size as your Axim, then mod the internals a bit to output the correct voltage. Either 3.7V to the normal battery connector or 5V through the sync/charge port. A variation of Raspa's DIY charger gizmo is an excellent design and uses common inexpensive (<$5) components - plus it can recharge through a USB port and be used to power all sorts of devices. I've seen some huge laptop batteries with >25000mAh capacities.

I've noticed that my "Lenny" WM6.1 beta sometimes has problems recognizing non-standard battery capacities; it still works just fine, but the "% charge remaining" status thing in the Power applet just reports nonsense (even after trying to "reset" it with a variety of charge/discharge and soft-reset approaches). This is just a nuisance; huge batteries still operate normally.

7. Ashton

ehhh, I dont use it enough to warrent even the extended battery, though the USB charger is a fun idea for other devices. Too bad my current phone doesn't charge with USB

I'll probably move to a Mogul since they've finally broken the $200 price and heading towards $150 or even $100. At that point I'll retire my Axim since the mogul can do everything the axim can do and I'll have my eee for when I need something more powerful. (all I do now with my axim is check a few forums/email, listen to music, watch an occasional *RARE* movie, and my basic PIM, heck if it'd been EVDO the treo I ordered could have done all that @ 300mhz)

8. Konrad Pierce

Wanna sell your axe?

9. Ashton

Provided I get the mogul I want, I'll consider it. If you're interested I'll be sure to drop you a line when it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.