Anyone remember the old Giraffe program?

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by toastysquirrel, Mar 31, 2011.

1. toastysquirrel

toastysquirrel Mobile Enthusiast

My Graffiti's a bit rusty and I remember Giraffe was a lifesaver back in the days of the Palm III. Does anyone know where I can download a copy of Giraffe for my T3, or any other similar (and FREE) app?

Google hasn't been any help.
  2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Click on the blue circled date-- it offered to download it for me, but I'm at work so couldn't test the download.

If the link I posted doesn't work, go to the internet archicve and search for:
    "http://www.palmplanning.com/software/giraffe-prc.zip"

This is where I turned it up using Google. The link on this page doesn't work, but it gave me the url of the file to go to the internet archive with.

Using Palm OS Handhelds and Curriculum
  3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Giraffe. I fondly remember graffiti 1 and Giraffe. I got faster and faster at graffiti thanks to that program. PM me if you still can't find it, I can look around my archives for it. I'm somewhat of a pack rat and I stumbled across an old Palm directory just the other day when I was deleting and recreating Time Machine backups for two of our Macs. I dumped the half terabyte volume and have everybody backing up to a 2 TB drive now. It takes almost an entire day for 115 gig to get backed up over 802.11n from scratch.
  4. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

What does Giraffe do? Is it a DA or a stand-alone app?
  5. Hook

The Wayback machine link I gave you above definitely works. I just downloaded the file (assuming the file works, not bothering to try it on my TX)
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yeah, I have it, too, saved in old files that I had to off-load onto a backup drive because I ran out of HD room on my old laptop. It came with my m130 and I still have it installed. :) Cutest icon ever. :)

I just had to go look at it on the m130, eternally sitting on its charger because its battery is pooped out (although I know that's not good practice because the battery could swell :eek: ).
  7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Evangelist

I also like a game for griffiti practice called T-Blaster. It works with other text entry software also.
  8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

No, it's not a DA. It's a stand-alone program, a game intended to offer the user a joyful practice geared towards proficiency in Graffiti. The name of it, AFAIK, has nothing to do with the program. Such as Java, Yak, and many more names of the Internet era, nothing to do with the purpose or inner mechanics :D

Giraffe is like Missile Command, but with Graffiti. You find a screen in which characters fall, and you gotta jot them in order to make them disappear before they touch ground level. You don't aim at any, you just find a "J" falling (i.e.), you jot it right, and it goes away. Of course, first letters and numbers are easy, but then punctuation marks can be a challenge.
  9. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

Thanks hal. To the rescue yet again!
  10. hal

Anytime, pal :)

Minor correction: Yak, or correctly written, Yak!, does have a relation between name and purpose. Yak! is/was a LAN IM messenger. And recalling that yakking is another name for informal conversation, read chatting, well it doesn't fit in the nonsense name assignations of the Internet era :p
  11. Bocadr1

Bocadr1 Newbie

Thanks, Hook! I did find the Giraffe app at the link you gave and intalled it on my t/x...Just to let everyone on this thread know, it DOES work on the t/x perfectly! :D Also, thanks to Chris Short, the PalmDr [can't post his URL b/c I'm a newbie...but you can figure it out!;) ], he sent me 2 files that I installed on the t/x that, after a soft reset, returned it to GRAFFITI 1!! What a relief after struggling with that terrible Graffiti 2 for so many years...and now that I have a working copy of Giraffe again, I can refresh my speed and accuracy back to how it was before. If anyone is interested in having my post these 2 files, reply to this and I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.
  12. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, Bocadr1.
  13. Hook

Welcome to Brighthand, Bocadr1. :)

Glad this thread was of help to you. There is a link to Chris Short on the Palm TX help page linked in my sig.
  14. hal

Please remind me, which are those two files that replace Graffiti 1 on a Palm device, and where can I download them? :confused:
  15. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The two files are Graffiti_Library.PRC and Graffiti_Library_enUS.PRC (assuming your device is in English language). These will replace G2 with G1. I don't remember where you can/could download them. I still have them in my hard disk, let me know if you want them.
  16. Bocadr1

Bocadr1 Newbie

I just got those 2 files fr. Chris Short and still have them attached to his email...I can just forward the email with the files attached if you want them. After installing them and hot-syncing, you have to do a soft reset of the handheld in order for it to complete the installation. Then you should be completely back to Graffiti 1!
  17. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

I think BH had this discussion already; but those files don't work on a Lifedrive, do they? I seem to remember there was some issue that prevented an LD from using this work-around.
  18. hal

Yes, I'd appreciate those files. PM sent :)

I don't remember a reason why they shouldn't work on a LifeDrive, Varjak, however I remember that on a given occasion, I sent some files from my Treo 680 to HeadCronie, and he said he couldn't use them, cause "they were ROM files". I can't tell you exactly the reason why they didn't work, but be advised there could be a limitation involved.
  19. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

hal, I think I'll try and contact Chris Short directly. He should know if they work on the LD. The only problem is I'll have to retrain myself to go back to G1 after all this time on G2.
  20. hal

IMHO, it's G2 the one that demands you the training. G1 is extremely intuitive, especially cause it mostly lacks time-determined characters (such as "i" and "x"), short-order-confusing characters (such as "t" and "y"), and relative-position characters (such as "k"). All of which, I've come to loathe. I've come to think that I've spent 1/3 of my whole time using G2, correcting typos.