Anyone like to hit garage sales?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I wonder if they upgraded the Nighthawk to a mesh router.

headcronie likes this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Nobody ever wants to sell me their garage, even though it is called a garage sale. :p The best sales, are when they've got a 3 car garage full of sale items, and it spills out into their driveway. You can reasonably guess the family is rather well to do and the quality and condition of the items they have for sale are usually some of the best you'll find. That's not to say you shouldn't hit sales where they only have a single car garage. I've found those can be some of the best places to find fishing gear. I need my g-sales buddy to tell me what is good and what isn't in that area. I've got no clue what I'm doing. :eek:

I've been there, and done that. With Mrs. HC joined my household, we had to merge two fully established homes into one. Cars were kept in the driveway as we sorted and packaged up duplicate items for sale or donation.

That's something I didn't think of. Good idea. :)

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  3. headcronie

Ok, so I just 'learned' why we have basements here. And what befuddles me is down south, why they don't have them. Tornado alley? Where the heck is my basement to take cover in? Now I know, it's to keep my water lines from freezing. Or at least an attempt to keep them from freezing. The past few winters have been so frigid that pipes have still frozen (thankfully not mine).

Things you never stop to think about... thanks for the education, Raspy. :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

While in colder climates we do sometimes have to deal with getting water in our basements, it's much more difficult in places like Florida where they are at or near sea level, the water table is high and the soil in many locations is very sandy. Basements just aren't practical there.

Basements also exist because they can provide relatively inexpensive extra living space. When we were planning to build (which never happened), we were told the rule of thumb was to budget a rough amount for main floor construction and finishing, about 2/3 of main floor cost for an upper floor, and 1/3 of main floor cost to completely finish the basement as living space. Essentially, once you had a foundation and frame built, building above the house's footprint and building under it were more cost effective than building a larger footprint.

Our previous home had an unfinished basement. The house was built in 1929, and the basement was cold, dark and damp. It was the perfect location for my man cave: no one wanted to bother me there! :D During the winter months, I had to bundle up in my parka to work from home, but I happily endured. The home we bought last year was constructed about 11 years ago and was built on a hillside. From the street side, it's a 2-story home with basement, but on the back, it's practically (but not technically, given there are 3 steps) a 2-story with walk out basement. Construction techniques have improved considerably since 1929, and this basement is clean, dry and well insulated. I'm just about to start finishing it, which involves additional framing, HVAC, electrical, plumbing (which was already roughed-in), drywall, finishing, etc. It'll be a lot of work, but I expect to end up increasing the usable square footage of our home by about 25-30% for the cost of a few materials and mostly my own labor. A comparable home addition would be much more costly.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  5. headcronie

Education part 2 on basements - where you'll find em, and where you won't. Good additional info. Thank you, Jig. :)

6. jigwashere

Google 'Florida Sinkhole' and you'll find a lot of scary articles, pictures and videos, including this fairly recent story:

scjjtt likes this.
  7. headcronie

*shudder* I don't like it when the ground beneath me can just open up and swallow everything around it. Meep!

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

These days, most 'garage sales' seem to be called 'estate sales.' I've been to a few, but not in a while to be honest. I do see the signs on occasion and think about going, but I find lately that (because of ebay/internet) people know the value of most things or value them even more than they'd be on Craigslist or ebay. Even on ebay, I'm constantly astounded when people try to sell stuff for prices MORE than can easily be found for the item new.

I do occasionally dream about finding a couple of rare books or a cool car tucked away in a garage.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. headcronie

I may run into a single 'estate sale' per weekend. They are interesting to look at, but hardly a value to buy from. They've been run by contracted estate sale companies, and priced accordingly. You'll find prices half off on the last day, but even then, the prices are half off the high price they originally wanted. I've purchased one item from an estate sale, and that was two years ago. A nice picture frame that holds 9 pictures. Found that on a half off day. The price was still high, but I knew the Mrs. would like it.

The rest of the sales around here are true garage sales. Items priced at $.25 cents and up. That's what I'm talking about. That's my treasure chest.

You may not have seen or heard of this little gem: Yard Sale Treasure Map
    That's where I initially look. Gives me a quick read on the city, and provides a quick way to see where any neighborhood sales are at. I like those the best, as you park your car, and just walk.

I don't go out without this app. :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I was being slightly facetious. But not all estate sales around me are run by outside companies (though many are as you mention), and often seeded with stuff from other 'estates'.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.