Anyone like to hit garage sales?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Sep 19, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So a bit of background -

As a kid my mom would take me out to garage sales during the summer. Partly as a way to keep me occupied, and partly just to be thrifty. As a kid, I'd burn holes through my knees in my jeans faster than you could blink. Inexpensive 2nd hand clothes were a good way to save a ton of money. I'm sure she found other useful items as well.

Well here we are in present day. I don't browse the clothing racks, as I'm sure Mrs. HC would raise an eyebrow and tell me to get rid of the surplus of clothing I already have. However, there are plenty of other goodies and gadgets you can find. I like to head out around 8am on a Saturday morning and wrap up around noon. I go out without a single thing in mind to find. It's kinda the thrill of the hunt. See something from childhood and reminisce over it, get out and socialize, and if you're super lucky, find a treasure or two. Most days, I come home empty handed, gas tank a bit lighter. Chalk it up to cheap entertainment for no more than $5 of gas for the car.

This past weekend, I did manage to find a pretty sweet bit of loot. Someone was selling a NetGear NightHawk x6 R8000 router. This sale was one of my least favorite as nothing was priced. Everything was make an offer. I feel like I don't want to low-ball them and offend them, and I don't want to offer too much, and get taken. I was doing my usual quick scan of the goods being offered up when I caught their electronics table. I saw this bit o treasure sitting there. I walked up to it, inspected it, and the device model / name instantly caught my eye. I picked it up, and said I've no idea the value on these things, I can't make an offer. What are you looking to get on it? She said "That's an internet router." not knowing if I even knew what I was holding. I played along, not giving hint at the cost of such a device. She paused, and said her husband has to have the latest and greatest, and he upgraded and now doesn't need that one. She then said, how about $10. I questioned whether it was still in full working order. Yep, it is. Trying to hold my excitement, I said, hmm... okay, deal. My insides were squealing with excitement.

Brought it home, blanked the configuration, updated the firmware, configured it for my use, and it's all set and running.

Currently being sold at BestBuy for $250: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...nd-wi-fi-router-black/7201035.p?skuId=7201035

Cost on Saturday - $10 bucks, and no gas, as I was car pooling with my 'g-sales' buddy. I check with his wife first, as he'll drop his to-do list to go g-saling with me, then he gets in trouble. Hah!

It's all about the thrill of the hunt. :D

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Congratulations! I have a great Bible verse for you to remember on Saturdays:

“It's no good, it's no good!” says the buyer;

then off he goes and boasts about his purchase.

- Proverbs 20:14 NIV

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Hook, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  3. headcronie

Aye, ya got me good with that one. It's no good! ;)

Hook, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Wow! That's a truly awesome find, HC!! Congratulations! I'd love to have such a powerful router. I can only imagine what did the woman's husband upgraded to. Lucky him!

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sometimes you find the deal. Sometimes the deal finds you. :vbwink:

jigwashere, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. headcronie

That's the exact same question that went through my mind. As well as, how many devices do they have that they need something even more powerful than the x6. Ooofdah! :D

jigwashere, lelisa13p, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

Regarding the question in the thread title, garage sales are very uncommon in Ecuador (my home country) and Colombia (where I live). I'm not sure what's the root cause for this, though. It's far more common to see recyclers walking the barrios advertising that they buy any and every old stuff they're offered. Alternativley, there are places in the major cities where people take their old stuff and sell or trade it to shops and junk yards, where other people can search & buy for anything they may need. The dark side of this is that a lot of the stuff offered at such places has been stolen, so buying from them means supporting the criminals. This makes it hard to sell old, unused stuff. I often just give stuff away to friends and coworkers.

I remember that a lot of TV shows I watched as a kid featured a garage sale at one time or another (maybe more than 80% of the TV shows seen in Latin America come from the U.S.A.) and I wondered how that worked and why they were called "garage sale" when the stuff was laid out in the front yard :D :D

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Because the stuff had originally been stashed away in the basement and/or garage. If stashed in the garage, it was sometimes liquidated in order to have room to fit the car inside of the garage once again. :thumbsup:

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. raspabalsa

Heh heh... I wondered about this back when I was a kid... young and innocent :) Then I grew old and near-sighted and finally understood :D

In fact, there were other things I saw on TV that I didn't understand until I was much older. Basements, for instance. I couldn't understand why every house on TV had them (remember, during my childhood "house on TV" = "house in the U.S."). Nothing good ever happened in a basement. The Incredible Shrinking Man almost died there! Countless psychos, monsters, and ghosts regularly stalked and killed the young and innocent in the basement! Poe's short stories almost always had to do with or rather within basements. So why not fill them up with dirt and end the horror? Only much later I learned that out of the tropics soil freezes during winter, the house's foundations must be below the frost line, and the water pipes must be buried deep down so water won't turn to ice and a) burst the pipes due to volume expansion of the ice, and b) prevent young and innocent would-be-victims from getting in the shower (site of yet many more horror scenes). Do you see all I had to learn to understand why houses on TV always had basements?

Another thing I never understood back then was why nobody locked the cars on TV. I'm talking about shows in the 70's and 80's, when I was between ages 5 and 10, in a time before car alarms and autolocks existed. I remember we had many theories about this. One of the most popular was that people on TV were so rich that they didn't mind if someone stole their cars :D :D

scjjtt, lelisa13p, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!