Anyone know how to turn off Google's Pacman?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Silly Rabbit, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Turning off javascript helps...but muffs up other websites that actually USE it to do something other than play Pacman.

Could switch browsers.

But...it would seem there should be a more reasonable way...anyone know the secret???

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Try using this page;

Mozilla Firefox Start Page

Why? It doesn't seem to create much of a problem here and it will go away tomorrow. Does the Iphone or Safari do something strange with it?

3. Silly Rabbit

Thanks, Hook. I'll have to use that page today.

What's happening is that if you sit on the Google homepage, after ~7 seconds, the game (and sounds!) automatically start.

One fix that seems to help some people is disabling Cool Previews add-in...but that doesn't work for everyone, including me. (I don't even *have* Cool Previews installed.)

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Coolest doodle ever. :D

But then, I don't sit on the google homepage often, so...

5. Hook

Heh. I never leave the sound on on my computer. :D

6. Silly Rabbit

But some idiot apparently left out the stop/mute button...lots of complaints at the Google site.

It was cute, the first two times... :mad:

7. Hook

Wow! I didn't notice the insert coin button before! That is cool-- you can actually play the game!!!!! :D

I'm with Mi An--I go to Google Home Page long enough to type a search term. After that I'm always on a results page typing in new search terms. I am rarely on the Homepage longer than 7 seconds.

8. Silly Rabbit

I tend to keep several tabs open & click to the homepage when I'm done with that page/search. That way, I can quickly decide which tab to use or if I need to open a new one for a new search. Or I know I can close some of them up, if I have multiples sitting at Google.

I think it's a neat idea...but off/mute is a requirement. I guess they forgot that in all their excitement.

9. Hook

You are quite correct, they should supply a mute button, I wasn't trying to suggest your complaints weren't reasonable. Mostly I am laughing about it because, when I checked out the page after your first post, I was saying "what's wrong with this" because my computer was muted (and is most of the time). ;)

10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Google has been the king of minimalism for a decade. They even have a high up exec in charge of keeping the homepage clean and clearing all changes additions to that end. Noise blaring over people's speakers is certainly a departure and a valid complaint. Especially for people at work.

I keep my PC on mute whenever I'm not doing something specific for which I need audio. I actually task mute to a side press of my mouse wheel so it's easy to mute and unmute. Otherwise I'd probably have been as mad as you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.