Anyone know how to *NOT* have everything restored after a factory reset?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, Feb 18, 2019.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

The Play store, bless its little heart, has kept track of pretty much every app I've ever downloaded from it. Not having a phone with terabytes of internal memory, many of these apps are just history (no longer in use on my phone). I'm down to less than (or thereabouts) 1Gb of internal memory, so while a factory reset is the fastest way to give the S5 a new lease on life, I do not want to deal with all the apps that the Play store will try to restore for me. Suggestions, anyone? all I can think of right now is to cull out the apps I no longer use from the Play store itself, prior to the reset.

thanks!

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Are you talking about the play store or Google's backup and restore?

If the play store, as soon as you factory reset, jump into the play store, go to settings and turn off auto-updates and nothing will be downloaded.

I never use Googles Backup and restore, but when I flash a new rom, I always have the option to not restore from (Google) backup, don't know about factory reset. You should be able to turn that off in settings (Android settings, this time, not the Play Store settings).

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I was talking about the Play store, but sure enough, in Backup and reset in settings, the box to restore-it-all was checked. Thanks Hook!

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I would think for safety, it's smart not to have everything restore immediately; but wouldn't you want to turn off auto-updates in the store BEFORE resetting Hook? Just curious.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm not sure what happens with factory setting, but when you clean flash with a new ROM as I do, the play store installs with auto updates as the default. You may be right about factory reset.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I think to avoid the auto updates I just turned of the WiFi as soon as possible on the phone so I could go into the settings in Google Play & turn off Auto Updates.

But then as I write this I remember that the phone gave me the option to do an auto update based on a previous phone OR set it up without any new apps to be installed.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

scjjtt, as usual, very smart.

scjjtt likes this.