Anyone have Aeroplayer Skins to Share?

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by proto57, Nov 9, 2011.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I was a big-time user of Aeroplayer from my Tungsten T|2 days through my first T|C and tried to use it on my brief foray into the T|X, but the T|X came with Pocket Tunes pre-installed on the ROM (very annoying), and PalmaryClock (which I used for mp3 alarms) had problems with having both music players installed. Actually, almost all my apps had problems on the T|X due to the NVFS curveball that Palm threw at their 3rd party developers, but that's a whole different rant...

Anyway, I ended up just giving in and buying the PT upgrade for my T|X, and then I became overwhelmingly annoyed with NVFS shortly after, sold the T|X, and bought a used T|C. Support for Aerotunes was already fading by then so I just moved on to Pocket Tunes.

I did have a TON of Aerotunes skins, but a couple Summers ago I had catastophic hard drive failure on my PC, and the only thing I'd been backing up was my digital photos and videos, so all stuff like my old Palm app collection was lost. By then I had already moved on to a Treo 755p anyway, so...

But sorry -- I'm pretty sure I had (and used) that Rough skin. I'll look around -- I have some really old CD backups that might have it.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I guess nobody checked the wayback machine. Here are all the skins, including Rough: AeroPlayer Skins

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Love,
    Zippy
    :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Shouldn't the powers to be at Brighthand, consider re-implementing that Zippy thingy? Huh?

I have only learned about Areoplayer thanks to raspy's descriptions, and because several Palm OS apps indirectly support it, like HeadsetControl by JW Ideas, an app that I've used on and off throughout time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Zippy is elusive, like True Love, and cannot be regulated; appearing when it suits his fancy and not likely to change. ;)

6. hal

"Elusive, like True Love"... :D

7. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks internetpilot, I found it... thanks to the hint below:

Bingo! Thanks, jigwashere... I was familiar with the Wayback machine, but it did not occur to me in this case. Most of the skins are there, including "rough" as you say, so I'm all set. A few were dead links, since they went outside of the Wayback machine... but I may try those URL's in Wayback... maybe those skins are still lurking in the Wayback cache also.

I've been trying to track down the voice files for the guidance... but I'll make a new post for that (which is an old problem, since Garmin does not offer them, unless you want to learn Finnish or Norwegian).

Thanks for all your help, again. A silly thing, maybe... but a great distraction to all the more pressing problems in life, tinkering with my old PDA/GPS.

And what the heck is the huge green "zippy" button/lozenge for?

8. hal

I joined this site long after this Zippy thing was decomissioned, so I'll try to reply as best as I can, and eventually other members will improve on the subject.

Perhaps you have noticed that in other websites that also work as bulletin boards, there is a merit system, the names can vary, but the core thing is to determine that something or someone's intervention was good in your opinion. There are sites where this merit system allows you to "thank" a reply or post. In others, you "star" said post. The thing is the same, the implementation can be slightly different. And the whole thing allows any user to build up a reputation within that community (hence the common term of rep system). For instance, and out of the bulletin board websites, Facebook has a "Like" feature. BTW, in its core feature on the Facebook Wall, Facebook itself works as a bulletin board, albeit this "Like" rep system is not being followed in a global count for each user.

Well, AFAIK, here at Brighthand this merit system was based in marking the post or intervention with a green box. Again, this rep system is a specific implementation of a very common feature with boards. And for some reason I don't remember, the regular gang came up with the nickname of "Zippy".

AFAIR, this rep system was put down for two reasons, I think. One, that it was broken at some feature, and it worked on a chance basis. Second, the Admin/Mod group determined that it was being used in tricky manners to build reputations that didn't reflect the actual benefit of members' intervention, and that didn't reflect the values of the website. I could be wrong, so let's give time so better informed members chime in.

9. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

Oh. It looks sort of like a lime cough drop. But those are good!... and the post which was awarded was a pretty useful one, and to the point, so that makes sense.

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You got the basic details right. It was a rep system for marking when someone was helpful. Over time, as there became more and more of a community here, rep points were used as a way to acknowledge not holy helpful posts but ideas we liked and thanks for making us laugh. Certain powers that be thought that was an abuse of the system and misrepresented to new users who was helpful or not. My contention was that, in fact, there was a high correlation between those that were arouns enough to speak up and be funny and earn "social points" and those who were knowledgeable and would go out of their way to help folks. Management disagreed and took the system away. <shrug> :rolleyes:

Don't really remember how the nickname foe the system "Zippy" evolved. It was just fun to give the system a name.

2006-2009 this heavily Palm oriented board was very busy and very social. You'll find other remnants of that period popping up from tme to time-- references to the broom closet and the Brighthand Break Room. Once Smartphones entered the picture, and people went in many directions device-wise, things have become a bit more fragmented and things seem to have become quieter. However, we still have our fun. ;) :eek: :newpalm: