Anyone have Aeroplayer Skins to Share?

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by proto57, Nov 9, 2011.

1. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

I have only tried the Aeroplayer, so I can't compare to the others. I tried to find a copy of the Realplayer for Palm, but couldn't. I don't use Realplayer as my laptop player, not that it matters.

Aeroplayer works fine for me... sounds great, has an equalizer, an easy playlist interface, all those great skins (I'm having fun collecting them from users, and the net... still want to find "Rough"), it can play in the background, and on and on. So I'm all set.

You guys mentioned Kinoma... I have been unable to find a copy of the freeware version 4. The only copy I can find is the pay 4EX, and that requires an internet connection on my PDA. The Ique does not have internet, so I can't even buy it. If I find a copy of the free version, I may give it a try. But TCPMP works fine, so it is not important.

I of course feel it is a shame that Palm is dying out. It is just my sort of program, as it is so open and customizable. And it interfaces with the GPS and maps in my Ique well, and from what I understand, better than other, newer, choices.

When I looked for the driver for my 64 bit Windows 7 system, and found it, it was made by a third party supplier. From what I understood, they had bought the rights to Palm, and intended on producing units which ran on it. The driver is made by Aceeca, and they actually still make Palm PDAs... I think. Anyway, they have a site: aceeca.com I'll look and see if there is any mention of them on these forums, and if not, I'll start a topic.

2. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

Quick bump so I can post URLs on my next post. Sorry for the cheat.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Belated welcome to Brighthand, proto57! Which Palm device do you have?

Use this post to get Kinoma Player.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, proto57!

There used to be a big collection of Aeroplayer skins (and tons of other stuff) at 1src.com's freeware section. Sadly, this section has been closed for some time now. I do have a few Aeroplayer skins that I've collected over the years. If you want to try them, I can email a zip file with the ones I have. PM me with your email address if you're interested. However, you should install only the ones compatible with your iQue's screen resolution, i.e. only 320x320 or 320x480 depending on your device's screen.

As mentioned by others, I still use Aeroplayer (and of course, still use my TX, and will keep on doing so for the foreseeable future). I've tried pTunes several times over the last half decade, but I always return to Aeroplayer. As said above, pTunes's audio quality wasn't (and still isn't IMO) up to Aeroplayer's level, plus there are a few details about file and folder management where Aeroplayer haves an edge, at least for my playback habits.

Regarding the Acceca 64-bit driver, there's plenty of info around. This thread is a good starting point. Even though it contains information to install the driver for a TX, it applies to other devices as well.

EDIT: I just checked pTunes' website, and turns out that pTunes for PalmOS (and for WM as well) is now discontinued. Too bad, the last beta release failed to address a couple of bugs from the 5.0.0 version. It seems pTunes is still for sale, though.

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ahem . ;)

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Was Aeroplayer a pay-software player? I seem to recall that someone posted when it was discontinued.

All the Palms I've bought seemed to skip RealPlayer, although I knew it existed for Palm. I don't think I ever got it. pTunes works quite well for me. I'd be interested in how much a software player could affect sound quality. I'd expect the codecs used and how the digital files were created (source material, compression, etc.) to have a much bigger impact.

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Aeroplayer (the program itself) was provided for free. However, the program itself has no codecs - you have to install them, although they are included in the distribution package. The Speex and Ogg Vorbis codecs are free, but the MP3 and AAC are not. These are the ones you have to pay for. Initially I only payed for the MP3 codec, then at some point I got the AAC, but I don't think I've ever used it. Ditto with the Speex codec. The only use I found for the Ogg codec is to play the sounds from the game E.D.G.E.

About sound quality, even if the digital file is high quality, the software may enhance or decrease quality, muffle bass, make highs too shrill, etc. The difference in audio quality between Aeroplayer and pTunes is still very noticeable to my untrained ears. Neither is what an audiophile would choose as a main player (my brother who is a career musician so has told me) but Aeroplayer's equalizer has a good enough (IMO) response. pTunes's EQ is not that good: Try raising the levels and audible noise and distortion will be induced.

I don't think this has much to do with codecs, and even less with the digital file. I think the main factor is the way the program handles the amplifier stage(s).

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

If you wish for a RealPlayer for Palm OS install, I can look for it around. However, beforehand, Varjak, be advised that you in particular will find it substandard. Knowing that you are the type that willingly spends an evening converting a single file to WMA lossless :)D), OK try RealPlayer for the sake of curiosity, but you're gonna delete it faster than it took you to install it.

It's odd how a program that performs uniformly, can be enjoyed different among users. I reckon that if the hardware poses no difference, nor the codecs do, then it's up to the user's ear to determine if several audio registers can make a good experience or not. AFAIR, raspy has a trained ear, and Pocket Tunes is underperformed by AeorPlayer. In my own ear perception, Pocket Tunes is unsurpassable. Odd indeed.

@jig: if I hadn't mention Kinoma, you would have, sooner or later :p You used to be our resident Kinoma informer about a year ago. Until the dudes over there decided to call it quits for their Palm OS development. As I mostly consume totally pre-formatted media, the things I do with Pocket Tunes, and RealPlayer, and Kinoma, and TCPMP, are usually basic-user media. I don't have the geek factor of raspy regarding mobile video. And I don't have Varjak's trained ear. So I mess with formats every turn of the century or less. I really better hoard on codecs, than try to convert among formats.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks for the offer Hal; but I'm fine. pTunes is okay. I might have been interested in comparing it to Aeroplayer; but only for fun. I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to track an install down. I like to keep my device as pared down as possible. I don't want to complicate things, as more apps (too many anyway), etc. tend to cause problems. Ironic about the MP3 codec. MP3 is one of the worst formats, so no great loss, although I guess if it's your main player you need it since MP3's are so popular.

No current digital portable device is likely to be great (unless someone comes out with an audiophile-focussed unit). Too many weak links (speaker/headset, software, hardware, choice of files for many users, etc.)

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

One bad thing I missed before about RealPlayer for Palm OS, is that it uses a dedicated folder in the SD card, and it cannot read anything outside of it. OTOH, even TCPMP allows to do a basic explorer-like search for media (how come?) Anyway, I do understand your attitude towards a "lean implementation". There are many apps that I've tried only for curiosity, and then forgot to uninstall.

AFAIR, Bang & Olufsen tried to market their version of a portable audio player years ago, but it was obviously not tagged at what you would call "affordable". Go figure why it didn't sell. Anyway, speaking about audiophiles, Bang & Olufsen would be the choice in quality. Back to what common people are willing to pay, I think that an iPod Classic would suit you, Varjak. It has excellent audio codecs.