Anyone have Aeroplayer Skins to Share?

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by proto57, Nov 9, 2011.

1. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

I'm not asking for anything illegal, just hoping that someone saved one or a bunch of the old Aeroplayer skins. It seems that all sources for the skins are now gone... all the links at handheld.softpedia.com go back to the Aeroplayer company website, and of course they are gone and out of business.

If someone happens to have a bunch of these free skins, could they email them to me? I especially like "Rough", which I've seen on a blog post. I also understand there was a program to make new skins... maybe someone has this?

Yes, I know this is an old player, but I like it, and I like my Garmin Ique, and I use it all the time... being able to change the skins is a small thing, but I'm having fun playing around with it. Thanks... Proto.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

There are a couple you can find here.

Free Palm-OS Audio & Music Software Download

I have a small collecton stashed away. they were all freebees and I don't even remember how to install but if you PM me your email I will zip them and send them to you. They were all free as far as I remember, so I don't think there is any piracy issue here, just don't post you email-- the spambots will get it. Use PM.

3. proto57

Wow Hook! Thanks for the fast response. I'll check that site right away, and send you my email by PM. Thanks again... Proto.

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, proto57. :)

Sorry I couldn't help, being a Pocket Tunes user instead of Aeroplayer. Glad that Hook can fix you up. :cool:

5. proto57

And he did! The "service" around this place is great.. hope I can help someone, sometime... all the best, proto.

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Neither am I. Pocket Tunes and RealPlayer. Aeroplayer never lured me, cause RealPlayer is free and I got about four Pocket Tunes licenses.

7. Hook

I bought Aeroplayer early on for my T2. I later got Pocket Tunes (was always generally underwhelmed by the audio quality, though they got much better in later years-- when I first bought Aeroplayer, it wasn't even a contest) and mOcean (ended up being my favorite Palm player-- equisite sound and synced with iTunes.). RealPlayer was just too underfeatured for me.

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

RealPlayer is too underfeatured for anybody :D It's the more barebones player ever. First time I learned of it, my dad gave my mom a Palm T|E for Christmas and I was (as usual) the one responsible for all the implementation. And RealPlayer was bundled in there. IMO, it's perfect for starters, and the actual shortcomings I find in it are two. First, it enlists tracks following the audio document name, not any other "inner" data (unlike Pocket Tunes). So the task of properly displaying the audio tracks can get cumbersome if you didn't follow a strict order before putting them in the SD card, and it's either that or live with a garbled track list. Second, the audio quality is way basic. The background hiss can be worked out with yet another app, but the quality will not get better nomatterwhat.

And then I started using Pocket Tunes starting with my Treo 680. Late to the Palm OS craze, by that time Pocket Tunes already held a significant quality and features, so I skipped the time of the underfeatured versions that you point out. I have got (either purchased or inherited) enough Palm OS devices along with their CDs so to have about four or five Pocket Tunes licenses, and I've decided not to use it extensively in my 680 (you know, I need the power charge for other affairs ;) ), so I use it in my Zire 31. It's been a while since I don't sync that device to a PC, but AFAIR, Pocket Tunes can recognize playlists from both Windows Media Player and iTunes.

My other option is Kinoma, that for sure can recognize playlists from both Windows Media Player and iTunes, and it's got an excellent quality. But being more a global media player, rather than the just-audio player that Pocket Tunes is, Kinoma is of a more cumbersome manipulation if you just wish to listen music. Same thing would be with TCPMP.

I tried mOcean, which I downloaded somewhere, dubbed as free, only to discover it was a trial install. Wasn't impressed by it in any way. IMO it didn't give me anything that I didn't already have with RealPlayer and Pocket Tunes. And I have never used AeroPlayer. Ah, and I tried a freeware that I found at SourceForge.net, called The Magic Lantern, or something. Suggestion: don't. It put my 680 into a reset loop.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Thanks for mentioning Kinoma Player and TCPMP, hal. I sometimes used those for music, but mostly stuck with pTunes. pTunes also had skins, and as I recall, one of the skins actually enabled some extra functionality. My memory on that isn't clear, though. I can't remember if I tried Aeroplayer or mOcean, though. Didn't Raspy use Aeroplayer?

10. Hook

I think Raspy still does.

My initial attraction for mOcean was because I was still using iTunes in those days and it synced seamlessly. However, it turned out that, at least for my ears, it had better audio quality (and a better equalizer and crossfade) than PTunes had, even at the end. This kind of thing is always subjective, of course.