Anyone else using LineageOS (the "new" CyanogenMod)?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by internetpilot, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Okay, it only works as long as the rooted terminal session is running in the background. The next reboot, it's gone. :vbfrown: :vbrolleyes: Back to the drawing board.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Hook

I have given up for now and am back to CM 12.1 which continues to work well and properly handles the SD card.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. Hook

One last note. Other than the dance I have to do with TiBu, the only real problem is with DroidTV, which I will return to my Nexus 6p when Hookette gets back from her road trip. There might be other programs with problems with an unconventional SD path, but I haven't found one yet among the programs I use on my tablet. So, once I have my 6p back and have restored DoridTV over there, I will return to LineageOS and security updates. I just realized it wasn't worth all this wrangling for one app that won't even be there more than a couple of weeks. :vbwink:

But I will always keep a Nandroid of CM 12.1, just in case.

Also, this is why I will never buy a tablet with this little internal memory again, and why I have come to prefer devices with large amounts of internal memory and no external memory card. While I think Google is wrong for making it harder and harder to handle sd cards, I am tired of fighting the traps they lay and the developer work-arounds that don't quite work. :vbmad:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Yeah, I've started encountering this with several apps on my Note 10.1 2014 when trying to access the external SD card. Thankfully, all of these apps so far have been updated so that I can just browse to the new SD card name and it works. I'm not really sure why LineageOS completely changes the way the external SD card is accessed (it's above my paygrade, and considering I'm not being paid...well...there you go). Strangely, I started keeping track of which apps were giving me issues so I could check to see if my middle son's S3 (which I also have running LineageOS) is encountering the same issue, and guess what? He does NOT have these issues. So, apparently it's either device specific or more likely developer specific. Whoever is handling the Sprint S3 LineageOS seems to have all this worked out. I've noticed a few other differences between the LineageOS on my Note tablet and my son's S3, as well. Seems strange to me that the much older phone seems to have the better version of LineageOS going. It makes me wonder what I'm going to encounter when I eventually switch to LineageOS on my Nexus 6 (like when PureNexus moves on to Android O)?

Overall, I'm still loving LineageOS on my Note 10.1 2014 tablet, and I'm still blown away with how well it works on my son's "ancient" S3 phone.

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  5. Hook

I finally had time to get LineageOS working on my Tab S. I still feel like I had to keep doing all these different things, round and round, until finally things worked when I had already tried doing those same things 5 times and they hadn't. Hopefully, I'll just be dirty flashing to get the monthly security updates in the future, at least for awhile. Once it decides to behave, it's wonderful. :vbrolleyes: :vbgrin:

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Then you get a different result, further enabling your insanity.

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

It's good to be a little crazy. Because while you keep doing the same thing, the world changes around you. You can try and keep up with it, but it's more efficient to just wait for it to circle around again.

8. Hook

There are posts that make me wish we still had zippy to bang on. This is one... :newpalm:

Mi An, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That sounds a lot like philosophy from Calvin and Hobbs. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

If you're gonna study philosophy, those are the guys to teach it. :newpalm:

Attached Files: