Anyone else using LineageOS (the "new" CyanogenMod)?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by internetpilot, Mar 22, 2017.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I just had to do this again on my Nexus 6 with the clean flash of v7.1.2 PureNexus update, too, so apparently it's not just LineageOS. You have to go into TB's preferences, backup folder location, click on the "link" for "Storage Provider: File system (click to change)", and then I had to select "Document Provider storage" because the other two options couldn't get me to the my usual TB folder, even on my Nexus 6 which doesn't have an external SD card. And I still don't think you can search for it after doing all this. You just have to select the folder and tap use this folder. This is really something the TB dev needs to fix. I don't have this issue with any other file manager/utility.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Thanks. I ended up not having time to play with this last night and probably won't get to it until Wed, but I'll give this a shot. :thumbsup:

internetpilot, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. Hook

Again, thanks IP. This finally worked, although I had to add one final step of rebooting. Before the reboot, it was seeing the backups, but couldn't identify them. It showed obscure system filenames with no icons and a question mark for the program name. Actually, I didn't reboot-- this was getting very late last night, so I went into TWRP and backed everything up and restored 7.1.1 This morning I had some time, so I restored 7.2.2 to try and work on the problem and everything was good. I'm hoping a reboot would have done the same and that I don't have to do this TWRP dance every time. :vbrolleyes: :vbgrin:

Weird. I'm surprised you are getting this problem with Pure Nexus because it has *never* happened with Dirty Unicorns (watch, famous last words :vbwink: ) and I clean flash that weekly on my Nexus 6p.

internetpilot, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. Hook

I couldn't take it any longer. I temporarily moved DroidTV back from my phone and it can't use the SD card and doesn't have the sophistication to provide a workaround. Until a reliable means of fixing this shows up ot I find another updated ROM that works, I'm back on CM 12.1 which works perfectly. Yes, I am on the Sept 2016 security patch, but for my uses and the fact that it is a wifi only tablet, I really don't think I'm at great risk.

jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Whenever I write something like that, I always briefly wonder if my words might be immortalized by future archaeologists who unearth the message and go 'aha! so THAT'S what happened to the humans." :vbrolleyes:

There's been a lot of breathless security coverage over the past few weeks filled with unbreakable rules and lectures to readers about their security practices -- from writers working for publishers whose revenue comes from the primary source of malware distribution, so they are super credible authorities on security practices (in their defense, if we spent our lives and fortunes hardening every computing device against all possible negligence from them, they wouldn't have to worry about whether they were pushing malvertising on us). But yeah, don't let those types know what you're doing. It'd be like talking politics at Thanksgiving. Just lots of sound, fury and burning hair.

6. Hook

Okay, I finally fixed it. The fix doesn't really help TiBu, but it helps DroidTV and should help most apps that are looking for pretty normal non-root accessed pathway. I stumbled across this page:

http://mobfreak.com/fix-common-bugs-lineage-os/

The particulars described are different-- either because the OS has changed since it was written or because they were basing this on a different device (which isn't identified). However, I know enough Linux that I could understand what they were trying to do which is to change the mount point to something non-rooted Android apps could deal with. I don't know all the technical details underlying it, but I figured I could always restore a nandroid backup if it blew up (and I did have to do that once :vbgrin: ). However, it made sense to treat it as a Linux problem rather than an Android problem.

So here's what I did. First, my sd card in LineageOS is mounted (meaning made available to the system) at /mnt/media_rw/3037-3034, which is very non-standard. So first I went to /mnt/sdcard (which is where the internal sd card is mounted) and added a folder called external_sd. Right now, it is simply an empty folder on the internal sd card.

Next I opened up a terminal emulation program on the tablet and typed in the following:

SU (this gives the terminal session root privileges)
    mount o- bind /mnt/media_rw/3037-3034 /sdcard/external_sd

That second line says to take the mount point for the external memory card and make /sdcard/external_sd an symbolic link or symlink that points to the correct mount point. You've seen symlinks before. /storage/emulated/0/ is a symlink that points to internal storage but I couldn't find a way to get DroidTV to use that one to point to the sd card, I think because the real mount point is so exotic.

Anyway, after doing this, I could give DroidTV the path /storage/emulated/0/external_sd/Movies because now "external_sd" is not really a folder, but a symlink to the actual external sd card. It should work with almost any program.

I do notice that Root Explorer gets confused and gives memory used/free numbers as if it were just a folder, but I have verified that the Android system knows the right numbers.

So, really a kludge for an insane file system. I'm looking for a replacement ROM so I don't have to keep doing this every time I do a clean install. Maybe they will fix it. But for now, my security patches are up to date.

By the way, I'm sure a Linux expert would come along and shake their heads at my explanation, so take it with a grain of salt. :vbwink:

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    RickAgresta, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Huh. I usually just wonder if my wife will put the Darwin Award on the mantel next to my ashes.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

<…in a wee, small voice, rick asks>, so self-immolation, jig?

jigwashere likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Apologies for dragging further OT, but I'm weak-willed…

[​IMG]

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  10. Hook

This doesn't seem to keep working. I don't know why. However, I can't live with it as is as DroidTV keeps eating up my meagre 16GB when I have a 128GB SD card. So I see 3 solutions. One is, wipeand do a clean install and start over with what I know now and see if I can get it to work more cleanly rather than the confusing mish mash of things I tried, Or, go back to my old ROM which just works but isn't updated. Or try my luck woth something new, but I don't see anything promising. I suspect solution #2 is going to win, but we'll see...