Anyone else using LineageOS (the "new" CyanogenMod)?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by internetpilot, Mar 22, 2017.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Just curious if anyone else out there is using LineageOS (which replaced the now defunct CyanogenMod)? I was using CyanogenMod 12.1 on my sons' two Samsung Galaxy S3 phones and my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone, but just recently I noticed that LineageOS was available for both the S3 and my Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet, and it works VERY well on both! Unfortunately, it's not available for my Note 2 (Sprint version -- I think LineageOS is available for the international version of the Note 2), so if I ever have to revert back to the Note 2 should something happen to my Nexus 6, I'm going to have some serious OS downgrade syndrome going on!

I really can't believe the lifespan my sons' S3 phones have had! My youngest son just moved on to an iPhone 7, but my middle son is still happily using his S3, and is even more happy about using it now that it's running the very latest version of Android just like my Nexus 6. It's even running Google Assistant, round Pixel style icons, etc. I think if something happens to my Nexus 6, I just might have to use my youngest son's S3 as a backup device.

LineageOS also runs very well on my Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet. And since Samsung is just about the worst at providing updates, it's definitely the only way this tablet is going to see anything beyond Lollipop. The SPen is fairly well supported by Marshmallow and Nougat, but there are also several SPen utilities out now that make it work almost as well as it does with TouchWiz.

Incidentally, it also runs very well on my Nexus 6, but at this point there just isn't a reason to go with it over stock or just about any other custom Nexus ROM, which are already all at Android 7.1.1 anyway.

raspabalsa, Hook, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Although my Verizon S5 is my activated phone, my S3 still gets lots of use at home on wifi; it's great to know that it's still getting at least some support.

3. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I haven't yet, but I was thinking of trying it on my Samsung Tab S sonce the ROM I've been using has been out of development for a year now. Thanks for the mini-review.

jigwashere, Mi An, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  4. internetpilot

I'm both annoyed and impressed by how much support the S3 still has. Annoyed because the Sprint Note 2 forum on XDA has all but died and is receiving zero developer love at all. My Note 2 is in like-new condition, and if something happened to my Nexus 6 I could easily go back to the Note 2 and be happy, but not if it's only running Lollipop. Meanwhile, the S3 continues to get all kinds of developer love.

I haven't looked at the Tab S LineageOS (my wife and middle son are happy with stock/unrooted for their Tab S tablets -- WEIRDOS), but if it's anything like the Note 10.1 2014 tablet's LineageOS, you would be pretty happy with it. In regard to reliability and stability, it is easily equal to PureNexus on my Nexus 6, which is a very mature ROM.

For anyone attempting thinking about trying it, the process is a little different than it used to be with CM. First of all, it's not rooted. You have to flash an SU add-on after flashing the ROM/Gapps. If you want to use a different SU (phh, SuperSU, etc.), then you have to flash the ROM/Gapps and SU add-on, boot the ROM, go through the setup, enable developer options (by going to Settings/About Phone/and tapping Build Number numerous times), go back into Settings/Developer Options and enable root. Then (and only then) can you go back into Recovery and flash a different SU. I've tried changing the SU through the Google Play Store by downloading SuperSU, but then it wants to update the binaries and that always fails regardless of the method I use to do that. Also, on most devices it's pretty picky on what version of Recovery you're using. TWRP seems to be the best, but you can't use an old version or it can really mess things up for you. For my S3 phones, TWRP 3.0.2-0 was fine (I don't think there's anything newer for the S3), but for my Nexus 6 and my Note 10.1 2014, I had to update to something newer than TWRP 3.0.2-0. Thankfully both of those phones have the very latest TWRP 3.1.0-0 available.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    jigwashere, scjjtt, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

I just tried out LineageOS 14.1 on my TAB S and I'm loving it. There were a few odd quirks, but that may be because I'm visiting Joe Rakes and I'm pretty sure he has a spaceship buried in his yard. :vbwink: The strangest quirk was that when I installed Titanium Backup, there was no menu button. Huh?!? A little Googling revealed that this seems to happen from time to time with CyanogenMod and Titanium backup, although I have never seen it before. The work-around is to assign open men to any assignable key function (I made it a long press of the home key) and that forces the menu to appear.

However, I finally got her set up and apparently Substratum works just fine on LineageOS, so I was able to get rid of al those eye-bleeding white menus. And I love having easy Nougat screen res/dpi adjustment slider on my 10.5" tablet.

I'm just getting started, but I'm a very happy camper! :thumbsup: Thanks again, IP. :hi:

6. internetpilot

I had a few issues with LOS on my Note 10.1 2014 tablet, too. Much to my surprise, one of those issues was getting the Spen working well enough to keep using the ROM, something I have working my well on my Note 2 phone running CM 12.1.

To get the Spen working somewhat similar to stock TouchWiz, I use a combination of the Spen Command app, the Stylus Beta handwriting "keyboard", and Swiftkey keyboard. Spen Command has this great keyboard switching feature, so that when I pull the span out of the silo, the keyboard automatically switches from Swiftkey to Stylus Beta for handwriting input. I now know that there are a lot of new security related differences between CM 12.1 and LOS 14.1! But I finally got it working, and it is such a much more smooth ROM than stock TouchWiz.

Depending on how much longer the Pure Nexus team supports the Nexus 6, I may end up putting LOS on it, too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. Hook

Here's another very weird quirk I ran into, which again I found other people had encountered it with LineageOS once I did some Googling. I found that although Root Explorer could find my 128 GB external SD card (it called it Sdcard1), it thought it was a text file. The Android system could find it just fine as could system apps that browse for files. I had to kind of trick Titanium Backup into finding the backup folder on that card. So I found the following solution:

http://www.lineageosrom.com/2017/02/fix-file-manager-cant-access-sd-card-on.html

I used the second solution. My sd cad was under /mnt/media_rw and was named 3031-3044. When I renamed .android secure, 3031-3044 was added to the Storage list and showsup in Root xplorer as "SD"

Despite all these odd little things, it's a very smooth, stable OS for my tablet.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Is that the right word order? o_O Or, maybe a gift from autocorrect? :)

9. internetpilot

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that little issue. I thought it likely just a Titanium Backup issue, because I was able to access my external SD card in ES File Manager Pro just fine. I had to do something really fruity in the Titanium Backup file system to finally access it in Titanium Backup, but it worked fine in the end. I actually had to do this on my son's S3 phone, too, so it seems to be a common thing in LOS.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hook, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. Hook

Last night I tried updating from my older "unofficial" LineageOS based on Android 7.1.1 fir the TAB S (Chagalwifi) to the latest "Official" LineageOS based on Android 7.1.2 (clean flash) and I ran into the funky problem with Titanium Backup not being able to locate it's backup files. The thing is that my fix from before is still in place and root explorer has no problem locating the folder and files. Hoowever, when I pointed TiBu to that folder, it said it was empty. I'll try wrestling with this again tonight (I restored my Nandroid backup for now) and see if I can figure out what the fruity fix is this time. :vbrolleyes:

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.