Anyone else becoming incredibly bored with phones??

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by SyncRaven, Nov 13, 2021.

1. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Like, at some point they are going to have to do something different then add yet another camera lens.
    And who cares if a phone can fold.. I thought we left the flip phone behind already :).
    Maybe make one lava proof or bullet proof? A skyscraper drop test maybe?

I basically use my phone to read the news & text & lyft and occasional arcade game.. everything else seems like a marketing ploy that has long ago gotten old.

guywolffe and scjjtt like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

My phone is my replacement for what Palm did for me & so much more. I'm not necessarily bored but excited how mid-range phones do everything I need to get done - including making phone calls.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I loved flip phones, spent years wanting a smart flip even before folding screens, things that were mostly only in Asia, like the galaxy folder or golden, and actually I did have a blackberry pearl flip, if that counts as smart. If I didn't fear the displays were fragile in these early iterations and if they weren't priced where you'd expect given the new display tech, I'd drool all over them big time.

Ah, the clamshell form factor. One of my favorite forms of protection. Still underrated imho.

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I didn't buy a phone for its entertainment value. Never have, never will. I bought it for the things it can do to make life easier. The concept of pushing the envelope to see what you could make a device do that it was never intended to do, are well behind us in regards to phones now. It's a tool first and foremost.

It's not a bad thing that you're bored with your phone. Peel your eyes off your hands holding a tiny screen, and actually interact with the world around you. ;)

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think the real steep part of the smartphone curve levelled out a few years ago. A long time ago, I think I posted something about how once smartphones offered 1080p screens, mid-range point-and-shoot camera capability, and good battery life; most changes would be marginal. You can make even better screens, better cameras, etc. as has been done; but the real quality-of-life change will need a more extreme breakthrough such as AI integration and improved voice-command ability, plus a lot of things I'm sure I haven't imagined.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.