Any word on MS OneNote for Android?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by PaulaSims, Aug 23, 2011.

1. PaulaSims

PaulaSims Mobile Consultant

Hubby and I are using the Samsung Charge and we love it. I have also gotten hooked on MS's OnNote. On the OneNote "support" site there are lots of Android users that are requesting a OneNote for Android but it seems to be falling on deaf ears (big suprise).

Can anyone tell us something different, an actual update? Will there be a OneNote for Android? I've tried using Evernote but it's not the same.

Thanks

Paula

2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Have you checked out Mobilenoter?

MobileNoter for Android features

The information is a little confusing. Forinstance, the android app you pay for is apparently just a viewer while the free Android app is an editor. However, I believe the free app requires a subscription to the web service, so isn't really free.

Haven't tried it, so can't say how good it is. Only game in town as far as I know.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

MS Onenote is one of MS "catcher" apps. Another example is MS publisher. There is no clean way to export your data. There is no plan to support any platform other than Windows. The problem with apps like OneNote and Publisher is that these are home use apps and there is no corporate IT department to push back and make MS adhere to any standards or stop changing file formats so frequently or provide data migration paths for people who have spent many hours entering information only to find it can only ever be opened in OneNote.

You may have to grit your teeth and look for software that doesn't chain you to MS technology and allows you to own your data rather than refusing to export it in a format you would recognize. There is an article over at zdnet that lists some OneNote alternatives.

4. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Microsoft's Office Team Steps Onto iOS With 'OneNote' - Mac Rumors

I suspect they may someday do an Android version if that is successful.

Mobilenoter for Android is undergoing rapid development (part of the reason the site/documentation is confusing, I imagine), but I gather the iOS version is fairly mature (just in time to have MS pounce :rolleyes: ).

I plan to be a Mobilenoter user myself, as I too love Onenote, but I haven't gotten into it just yet. You can keep up-to-date here on their blog here.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have MS OneNote on my iPad but the last time I looked it only really wants to sync with OneNote stuff created on ... wait for it ... windows (which I don't own). Companies which have some confidence in the quality of their products to attract and keep users can afford to do things like the data liberation front, which MS is not about to embrace.

6. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. MS apparently even considered WinMo office an office competitor, so they delivered a glorified notepad and named it onenote mobile. I like OneNote more than I dislike Microsoft, but that's only because I like OneNote a LOT.

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

IIRC, your quest on mobile OneNote clients already dates a while back. And the whole point here is, are you asking for the impossible? No! Why is it so hard for MS to allow the user more flexibility?

FWIW, first an inflexible ecosystem, and second the overall cost, is what has been setting me off MS hands. Not totally, but partially, and gradually. I abandoned MS Office in order to use OOo and LibreOffice. I left MS Project and use OpenProj (tried to use Open Workbench but the lack of updates scared me off). I use an open source clone of Visio. IME, the whole MS walled garden actually took me off their customer base. Now, as of the MS products, I ironically have an excellent opinion. The issue is not how they work, is what pathways are you left with when any platform migration is due.

Mi An and weegie like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

mobilenoter 2.0 SE (the paid, non subscription one) is out, meaning editing is a go. It still doesn't have page creation, but it's catching up to the subscription side. I gather they added skydrive/dropbox to it a long time ago, so I have no idea who the market for the subscription version will be once this gets a few more features.

9. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thanks Mi An,
    One click install initiated. :)

11. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

When I changed from Windows Mobile to an Android platform I dumped OneNote for Evernote which, in my opinion, is a great cross platform versatile notation application. The free account has been functional enough for me.

12. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

MS definitely shot themselves in the foot by strangling onenote back in the day. I saw a lot of folks exiting OneNote land to have better note access across platforms.

13. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Excellent updates to this thread, Mi An and people. I too have diminished my MS OneNote usage due to lacks for cross-platform usage. AAMOF, my lifeline in this dept. has been MS Windows Live and its Office Web Apps, which include an online MS OneNote. If you haven't tried it, lemme point out that it seems to be developed by the same team that developed MS OneNote Mobile. Their expertise and ability to get things done shines like a trademark. I mean, it's as crude as it gets. Most likely, it will open a MS ON file previously done in a Windows PC, but the so-enriched possibilities of the whole desktop application are either lousily implemented, or plain absent. However, it's a lifeline, especially if you use SkyDrive as a documents repository. Sadly, my mobile device has a problem with Windows Live and I can't access my MS ON files online when mobile. But any computer in the vicinity could work.

I have resorted to an Evernote free account and as already posted, it works fine. A huge wish list to work out, but it does the job. BTW I also use a myriad of other apps in my mobile device, but attained to the subject, Evernote is a fairly good MS ON alternative.

14. Hook

I thought I would resurrect this old thread. Curiously, the infrastructure for One Note on Android seems to have vastly improved. I've just been exploring it on my Android Tablet.

I haven't spent a lot of time with it, so I'm certainly far from a point where I'm going to jump up and say this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but so far it works very well. I started playing with it because, while Outlook's note function is great for the kind of scrap paper notes I used Palm memos for, it really isn't that sophisticated for handling story notes (especially for novels) and research. I really like the way Scrivener organizes notes, but those notes don't sync with anything, at least on Android. The idea is that, while I am writing (on my Neo, of course) somewhere out in the world away from my computer, it would be nice to have my rich set of notes about the back story, characters, locations, etc to refer to on my tablet. I also planned on looking at Evernote, which I haven't tried for a very long time. It used to be clunky for doing a lot of organizing within a notebook, which I need, but I suspect that has changed and I will go look at it too.

What attracts me to One Note is that I am pretty MS Office centric, including Outlook, and One Note integrates well there. My staying with MS Office might be the devotion of an abused spouse, but I have been using it for 20 years now and can't seem to break away especially since I don't pay for it. ;) The syncing is through Skydrive, which works very nicely and even manages dropbox-like auto-syncing. The other thing that attracts me to One Note is the structure of notebook, tabs and pages gives me the richness that Scrivener offers. Again, Evernote may do so also, I need to relook it, but I find the combination of Office apps (I'm using Office 2013 which really is optimized for Skydrive) to be very smooth. Almost makes me feel better about Windows Phone. ;-) I also like that it feels like Microsoft and not like Google. What I mean by that is MS programs do seem to focus on getting work done (even when they have bad implementation ideas). Google always makes me feel like I should be grateful for the reduced power they offer in exchange for simple convenience and that there are other agendas besides me getting my work done. I'm not sure that analysis is justified, but it is kind of how I feel.

We'll see how it goes. I may benefit from not having used One Note before this. If the newest versions screwed good features up, I won't know about it. ;-) However, right now, it looks like I can easily create notebooks on my computer and have them quickly sync, more or less in full format, to my Android tablet. I don't know what features are missing in the Android app compared to the Office 2013 version, but I'm probably not that concerned since I am mostly planning to refer to the notes and only do minor updating if I add something new while writing remotely. Probably just text changes.

I'll do this for a while and look at Evernote and get back here with what I think.

Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  15. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

I'm glad you're on the case. I basically gave up/had the will to experiment sapped from my bones a long time ago, when the options were immature. I've settled into google keep mobile, paste stuff worth pasting into onenote when I'm at my pc. It's not smooth, but at least it doesn't bork anything. If you get seamless problem free sync, maybe I'll take another run at it. :rolleyes:

Hook likes this.
  16. Hook

One thing I am aware of is that the sync is optimized on One-Note 2013. The Skydrive sync option is built right in. It is 100% smooth and transparent so far. I don't know if I can do Skydrive from work, but I have One Note 2007 there, so I will see if I can use it to find out what this is like in an older version of Office.

17. Hook

Okay, the big catch for people who tend to be more mobile than I am... You can view and even edit existing One Note notebooks, but you cannot create a new one on the tablet. I was so impressed by the transparency of the sync that I missed that pretty big gaping hole the first time.

For me, though I think it is a big deficit, it doesn't matter a lot. I do most of my content creation on a big computer and only view or modify on my mobile devices. So I am still pretty happy, but I need to dig deeper with use cases to see what else is missing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jigwashere likes this.
  18. Hook

Couldn't test this. Although work gives us Office Professional including One Note for home use, as alluded to elsewhere in this thread, they don't include it on our computers at work. I suspect everything works fine, but Office versions earlier that 2013 (maybe 2010, I don't remember) won't have the integration with Skydrive. That means you'll have to go through the manual step of copying your notebooks (at least the ones you want synced to your mobile device or other computers) to the Skydrive folder on your computer (works like DropBox). That might have been inelegant enough to have kept me from investigating further, but I suspect if I had a lot of One Note notebooks already, it would be worth it. In One Note 2013, however, it is really very slick and transparent and I am loving it. So far. Still much more testing to do. ;)

19. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

2010 integrates it as well. Enter properties for a notebook and you can choose to 'store' it on the web, even though it's also stored locally and it syncs up as you describe.

Hook likes this.
  20. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I installed Onenote for Android just before, mmm, looks like Windows Phone on the splash pages...maybe it will look better when it gets to the business end, syncs with the cloud....mmm that doesn't sound like it syncs with my laptop sitting 6 inches away and plugged in charging, please sign in....uninstalled