Any word on MS OneNote for Android?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by PaulaSims, Aug 23, 2011.

1. PaulaSims

PaulaSims Mobile Consultant

Hubby and I are using the Samsung Charge and we love it. I have also gotten hooked on MS's OnNote. On the OneNote "support" site there are lots of Android users that are requesting a OneNote for Android but it seems to be falling on deaf ears (big suprise).

Can anyone tell us something different, an actual update? Will there be a OneNote for Android? I've tried using Evernote but it's not the same.

Thanks

Paula

2. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Have you checked out Mobilenoter?

MobileNoter for Android features

The information is a little confusing. Forinstance, the android app you pay for is apparently just a viewer while the free Android app is an editor. However, I believe the free app requires a subscription to the web service, so isn't really free.

Haven't tried it, so can't say how good it is. Only game in town as far as I know.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

MS Onenote is one of MS "catcher" apps. Another example is MS publisher. There is no clean way to export your data. There is no plan to support any platform other than Windows. The problem with apps like OneNote and Publisher is that these are home use apps and there is no corporate IT department to push back and make MS adhere to any standards or stop changing file formats so frequently or provide data migration paths for people who have spent many hours entering information only to find it can only ever be opened in OneNote.

You may have to grit your teeth and look for software that doesn't chain you to MS technology and allows you to own your data rather than refusing to export it in a format you would recognize. There is an article over at zdnet that lists some OneNote alternatives.

4. Mi An

Mi An Mobile Deity

Microsoft's Office Team Steps Onto iOS With 'OneNote' - Mac Rumors

I suspect they may someday do an Android version if that is successful.

Mobilenoter for Android is undergoing rapid development (part of the reason the site/documentation is confusing, I imagine), but I gather the iOS version is fairly mature (just in time to have MS pounce :rolleyes: ).

I plan to be a Mobilenoter user myself, as I too love Onenote, but I haven't gotten into it just yet. You can keep up-to-date here on their blog here.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have MS OneNote on my iPad but the last time I looked it only really wants to sync with OneNote stuff created on ... wait for it ... windows (which I don't own). Companies which have some confidence in the quality of their products to attract and keep users can afford to do things like the data liberation front, which MS is not about to embrace.

6. Mi An

Mi An Mobile Deity

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. MS apparently even considered WinMo office an office competitor, so they delivered a glorified notepad and named it onenote mobile. I like OneNote more than I dislike Microsoft, but that's only because I like OneNote a LOT.

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

IIRC, your quest on mobile OneNote clients already dates a while back. And the whole point here is, are you asking for the impossible? No! Why is it so hard for MS to allow the user more flexibility?

FWIW, first an inflexible ecosystem, and second the overall cost, is what has been setting me off MS hands. Not totally, but partially, and gradually. I abandoned MS Office in order to use OOo and LibreOffice. I left MS Project and use OpenProj (tried to use Open Workbench but the lack of updates scared me off). I use an open source clone of Visio. IME, the whole MS walled garden actually took me off their customer base. Now, as of the MS products, I ironically have an excellent opinion. The issue is not how they work, is what pathways are you left with when any platform migration is due.

Mi An and weegie like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Mobile Deity

mobilenoter 2.0 SE (the paid, non subscription one) is out, meaning editing is a go. It still doesn't have page creation, but it's catching up to the subscription side. I gather they added skydrive/dropbox to it a long time ago, so I have no idea who the market for the subscription version will be once this gets a few more features.

9. Mi An

Mi An Mobile Deity

10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thanks Mi An,
    One click install initiated. :)