Any way to use MacBook IR port to sync with Plam?

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by gfdaught, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gfdaught

gfdaught Mobile Enthusiast

Greetings. I remember the good old days of being able to sync my Palm with my Mac through the IR port. The MacBook now has an IR port to use with the Apple Remote. However, HotSync Connection Settings (Palm Desktop v.4.2.1RevD) only allows for USB and Bluetooth. My MacBook can do Bluetooth. However, my Zire 71 has an IR port, but not Bluetooth. Any IR work-around options out there?

Thanks!

Gary

2. smillie

smillie Palm T|X User

I seriously doubt you could use it to hotsync. I too have a MacBook but haven't seen any uses for the IR port apart from the Apple remote.

3. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

I do recall seeing something about using the IR port of an iMac to sync a cell phone, but I don't think you could use it to sync a palm. The port is not really designed for high data throughput and if you managed to get it to work, it would probably take forever.

4. gfdaught

gfdaught Mobile Enthusiast

Robb,

Greetings. Yes, I used to do IR syncing between my old iMac and Palm all the time. Actually, as I recall it was quite snappy! I was just wondering if anyone has exploited the presence again of the IR port on the new MacBooks.

I fully appreciate that the port is for the Apple Remote, and IR access doesn't seem to be user controllable. Also, the Palm HotSync software on the Mac doesn't recognize the presence of an IR connection option (though the Palm still has an IR option). But if there were some clever programmer out there ;) ...

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.