Any way to put a global block on spoofed numbers?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, May 10, 2019.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

For the past couple of months I've been plagued with phone calls from a company that's using some computerised system for their calls, spoofing the number that displays on my phone. Each time I get such a call (about 5 per day) I add the number to my Samsung S5's auto-reject list, but their computer generates new numbers all the time, rarely repeating.

Once or twice I've tried to phone the number back, but it's reported as being 'non-valid', as expected. Is there any way I can program my phone to recognise, and reject, all non-valid numbers?

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Some years ago I used an app called Calls Blacklist - Call Blocker to block ranges of numbers (i.e. everything beginning with 900). It can also block calls from private or hidden numbers. I'm not sure if "non-valid" numbers fall into either of these categories, but you can give it a try. Alternatively, you can create a whitelist of known contacts, and set the app to block everything else.

I stopped using this app because, for reasons unknown, I stopped receving spam calls some years later :)

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks raspabalsa, I've just had a look at that app. The spoofed numbers are not 'private' or 'hidden', but they're so random, including area codes that cover many of my valid contacts, that I can't specify a block of numbers or beginning-with numbers for a blacklist.

I'm hesitant about using a whitelist, such as all my contacts, because I sometimes get security calls (one-time passwords, etc.) from my online bank and credit cards, that are not in my contacts list and I don't know the number of, but don't want to miss.

I think I'll tough it out and hope they get tired of me not answering. In the meantime I can give special ring tones to the numbers in my contacts list that I expect regular calls from.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

We have free access to Nomorobo through Xfinity on our home phone. I don't really know how well it works -- I don't use that phone. Anyway, you might look into it.

The way nomorobo works, as I understand it, is that you give them permission to have all your calls ring their phone while also ringing yours. If the caller ID is one in their database as an illegal robo caller, they disconnect the call on your behalf. Legal robo calls (like from your kid's school) would still get through.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  5. raspabalsa

That's too bad. I really have no other ideas to help you.

This may or may not be useful to you, but I set my banks and credit cards to send me one-time passwords and other stuff only to my email. I travel abroad a lot, and since it's usually to the same countries I got a simcard for each one and don't use roaming (too expensive), so I'm often unreachable by the phone number the bank has.

Good luck! Hope you can get rid of those spammers soon.

6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

jigwashere, I've had a quick look at nomorobo, but it seems to be designed to block what it calls 'robocalls' which are from known sources: What I'm getting, I believe, is not the same -- it's calls originate in a foreign country (Cyprus I believe) using VOIP or similar to disguise their origin as well as eliminate the caller's costs for overseas calls. On my land line I've got a very good call screening system (truecall) that asks the caller to state their name if they're not in my phonebook, before starting to ring my phone. That deters most callers (including some legitimate ones!), and it still allows me to decline the call when I pick up the phone and hear the caller's name. It would be nice to have that system on my cellphone, but as far as I can see it's only designed for landlines. I've checked, and there's another one called 'Truecaller' which is available for Android, but it uses a database of known spammers, similar to nomorobo I think.

raspabalsa, I also make extended overseas trips and use local SIM cards when doing so, so your suggestion about getting my bank etc. to use email for emergencies is a good one, if they'll do it. If I can do that, then a whitelist could work for me.

Anyway, for the moment I've given my family numbers a different ring tone, so my wife won't have to keep telling me to check my phone in case it's so-and-so calling!

Hook, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Update

My call log is showing that quite a few calls now are being auto-rejected, since I've been adding spoofed numbers to my auto-reject list as they arrive. So it seems like their computer is using a limited list of possible numbers. I think I'm winning!

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

Defeating a computer by attrition is no small feat. Congratulations, abenn!

lelisa13p, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.