Any way to change ringtone for all contacts?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 9, 2020.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

As part of my defence against unwanted calls I've assigned a different ringtone to my family contacts, but I'd like to extend that to all my contacts.

Is there any way, other than going through each contact in turn, to assign a particular ringtone to all contacts in my phone. Perhaps an app that you've found that does the job?

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've done this without using a third-party app. On most (maybe all, not sure) Contacts app you can create groups, and assign a ringtone for each group. Then add contacts to each group as needed.

3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks raspabalsa. I checked groups and found that all my listed contacts are in two groups, so I was able to assign new ringtones to those groups.

The two groups are "My contacts" and "Imported 9/6/14", the latter being contacts that were imported from an old phone. Presumably when I add a new contact on this phone it will go automatically into "My contacts" and will have the new ringtone I've assigned?

lelisa13p likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

I don't know if new contacts are assigned to any group by default. I haven't imported contacts in a long time. My contacts are synced to Google and from there go to all my devices. Maybe you could create a new contact and see if/where it's assigned. I only have three groups: family, work, and people I don't want to talk to :D

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I've just checked, and a new contact does go into "My contacts", which is linked to my Google account. Thanks. An odd thing, I've just realised, is that most of my contacts are listed in both "My contacts" and "Imported 9/6/14" lists. Is the "My contacts" group a master group that contains all the other groups as sub-groups?

I don't need to know that any contacts were imported so, to tidy things up, if I select the "Imported 9/6/14" group and then select "Remove from group" will that still leave those contacts in the "My contacts" group, or will it delete those contacts altogether?

lelisa13p likes this.
  6. raspabalsa

It's been many years since I've had to tidy up my contacts, and I don't remember how or if I dealt with duplicates. But removing a contact from a group will not delete the contact, so you can try sorting everything either manually or try some contacts apps to deal with duplicates. I can't recommend any, though.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Okay, thanks. I'll create some new contacts in a new group, and then delete that group to see if I then lose those contacts.

jigwashere, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  8. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I did it a slightly different way: I selected the "Imported 9/6/14" group, then I selected all the contacts in that group and deleted them. They still show up in my "My contacts" group, so presumably all that was really deleted was a flag that assigned them to that particular group.

EdmundDantes, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.