Any ideas? Fatal Alert

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ethernetguru, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethernetguru

ethernetguru Mobile Enthusiast

Hello,
    My T|C crashes somewhat often, and everytime I do a normal reset (button on the back only), it resets, then instantly gives me the following error:

Fatal Error
    DataMgr.c, Line:9529, Index out of range

I've tried deleting applications, removing my SD card, all kinds of things, and still no luck!

I'm going to wipe the C out, and see if it does it with just the factory stuff in RAM.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Chester

2. fongj

fongj Palm T|C Enthusiast

I've had that problem a few times too and ended up hard-resetting (which is not fun!). Try ResetEmu (http://www.79bmedia.com/resetemu/). It is simple to understand program that will find the problem for you. It has worked for me 90% of the time I get an endless loop of fatal errors. As for how to get out of the fatal alert that you're stuck in now so that you can install ResetEmu.... I'm not quite sure. Maybe after a soft reset (press reset and hold up-button), you might be able to HotSync. Otherwise, I hope you have good backups.

3. edporras

edporras Newbie

I saw a few weeks ago and did a hard reset. What I ended up doing was:

- made a copy of my user folder on the desktop.
    - hard reset the T|C (hold power button while pushing up, I believe).
    - delete my user entry on the desktop app. This should wipe out the folder you copied earlier.
    - create a new user entry with the same name as the old one. On your next hotsync, the desktop should install the MMCupdate and a couple of other files (tour and something else.. can't remember for sure).
    - copied the basic PIM db's from the original folder into the new one (address, todo, datebook, notepad, memopad, expense). hotsync'd to get them on the palm (set conduits to copy from desktop just for that one hotsync).
    - one by one, reinstalled my 3rd party apps. hotsync'ed.
    - made a new copy of the current desktop user folder.
    - once by one, copied any needed db's for 3rd party apps (keyring, handyshopper, etc.) from the original folder. hotsync'd after each one and tested the palm.

It's been running pretty solid since then although I've had to erase all versamail files via FileZ to fix a lock up from that app. Same with the web browser. No biggie for me since VM was easily resync'd to my imap server and the WB just needed the basic config like homepage, etc.

hope that helps

-e

4. Hackcomic.com

Hackcomic.com Mobile Deity

I'm having the same problem. Although- you say to "Delete user entry" What exactly does that mean? is there a file called user entry?

Edit: I figured it out- the error was being caused by an AIM program that I got off the web.

5. zonian

zonian Mobile Consultant

6. StuBee

StuBee Mobile Deity

I had the same issue....yep...mine was caused by that old damn free AOL app as well. It would work for a few days then just start crashing out of the blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.