Any fully-customizable "Holidays -> Calendar" app?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by tbessie, Dec 7, 2011.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Hi folks...

On my Palm I have an app that has a holidays app that will generate holidays for ANY year and put them in the Calendar (or remove them from the Calendar). It has many ways of figuring out when a holidays happens (eg. Thanksgiving is "last thursday in November", some holidays are based upon the equinox or something like that, etc.)... basically, holidays are either on the same day every year, or based on a formula, and the formulas available are modifiable, and you can add your own.

In the app store, I see mostly "Holidays for 2011" etc. (a new group for each year) instead of a generalized app like this.

Given that I DO NOT AND WILL NEVER used syncing my Calendar to Google, so I don't have access (or want it) to Google's own Holiday Calendar for each year, does anyone know of an Android app that is as flexible as the one I describe above?

- Tim
  2. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

tbessie, what's that Palm app? Sounds good.
  3. tbessie

"Holidays" by Blue Light Software.

I don't think it exists anymore.

Someone posted a copy of it here:

Palmpage

- Tim
  4. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Enthusiast

Try the Free Paid App of the day today on Amazon, Pocket Informant.
  5. tbessie

"Free Paid"? What's that mean??

I'm using DejaOffice - Pocket Informant would be doubling up on big PIMs, wouldn't it?

- Tim
  6. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

PI only syncs to Google, so of no value to you.

I think the trouble is, most people assume you will use Google calendar and it has a fine free holiday calendar.

What desktop app do you use to sync with DJO? If Palm Desktop and you still have a Palm, you can keep using Holidays.

If Outlook, I'm pretty sure there is a holiday add-on, though probably not as flexible.
  7. tbessie

I'm trying to get rid of the Palm eventually (it's been a project of mine to switch to Outlook, as you did, but I haven't gotten around to it), so it'll be be Outlook at some point. After I made my initial post on this thread, I *did* think "Well, maybe there's something for Outlook to do this". But yeah, probably not as flexible.

I suppose I could always write my own - it's not like it's that hard - it's just an app that sticks things in the Calendar and tags them so it knows it owns them, and has some not-TOO-difficult formulas to figure out dates. I even wrote an Outlook-like planning system in Java once that understood concepts like "3rd Thursday in November" or "1st Tuesday ever month" or "1st business day of February", though I no longer have the code.

- Tim
  8. Hook

I used Holidays to put Holidays in my Palm, then synced them to Outlook. I forget now how far in the future it went, but IIRC it was pretty far. ;)
  9. tbessie

You mean the Holidays program I mentioned?

Yes, I suppose I could always do that.... I'd like something reusable once I ditch the Palm, tho', and not have to stuff many years' worth of holidays into the Outlook calendar (not that it's a big deal). But you know what I mean. :)

- Tim
  10. Hook

Actually, sorry,no, I just checked. The one I used was called Holidates. Sorry. Memory getting fuzzy and suggestable. ;)
  11. tbessie

Suggestable, ehhh?

Hmmm....

GEEF ME.... ONE *TRILLION* DOLLAHS! :-0

- Tim
  12. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Outlook already has the ability to add holidays.

EDIT: Here's at least 1 app on the Android Market - U.S. Holidays. A few others are mentioned on the same page.
  13. tbessie

Well THAT would work. :) Tho' I bet it's not configurable for holidays that don't always fall on the same date because they're based on phase-of-the-moon or whatever (like that Palm app had). But I will check it out! :)

Yeah, I took a look at that one - no customizable holidays or holidays based on formulas that I can see.

- Tim
  14. jbenham

Every day Amazon AppStore has a free app for Android devices that they usually charge for. Usually it is a game but they have had OfficeSuite which is usually $15. Pocket Informant is usually $10. I think that Amazon also has a free paid app of the day for Apple.
  15. tbessie

I don't understand. How is it free if they charge for it?

- Tim
  16. Hook

Tim, each day Amazon takes a for-pay app and makes it available for free. It's a way of attracting people to the Amazon app store (meaning, you have to get your updates through the Amazon store since it isn't the Google Android Market).

I find having two markets cornfusing so I haven't fallen for it yet and so far all the good free stuff has been stuff I paid for a long time ago. ;)
  17. tbessie

Ahhhh.... okay, I didn't understand it. Thanks for clarifying - I thought it was both free AND paid for at the same time, which didn't make sense. :)

- Tim
  18. jbenham

That's where "Of The Day" comes in. :)
  19. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

Thanks for that link tbessie. Does that work for Palms past the Vx, esp. much later models using Palm OS 5.x?
  20. tbessie

I'm using it on my Palm TX, and I don't think I needed to update anything to make it work on that. Let me know if you try it!

- Tim