Another Thread About Exporting Contacts

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by rjbinney, Oct 9, 2011.

1. rjbinney

rjbinney PDA for my PDA

Been using 4.2 for years, on various Windows versions.

Abandoned (sadly) the Palm a few years ago, but still use Palm Desktop for all my contacts.

Need to do a LOT of cleaning up, so I wanted to dump into Excel where I could have everything in front of me, instead of tabbing field-by-field, record-by-record.

THUS...
    I've noticed that the Export function doesn't map phone numbers correctly.

In other words, the first phone number column (Column E) maps with the first-listed phone number in the Desktop, the second column the second-listed, etc.

Now, remember, via drop-down boxes, I can SELECT what that first-listed field is. So on some records, it's "Home", on some records it's "FAX", etc.

The exported CSV file makes no differentiation on that, so when I re-import, it all becomes a gobbledy-gooky mess.

Additionally, re-importing strips out the category names.

Anyone else feeling me on this? Is there a better option here? (a la Dimex for calendars?)

Thanks

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

That's pretty much what you get. Palm Desktop displays what you tell it, but stores the data in the same format, and exports it that way. That's why you have to remap stuff in the spreadsheet, and it can be a PITA. I haven't tried it in a long time, though, because I gave up on Palm long ago and have had my contacts on Google for several years. That also has some issues, but I'm used to it. What I wound up doing is syncing my Palm to Evolution in Linux for a long time, having given up on Windows, and Evolution will sync with Google. So I had my contacts and my calendar on Google before I got an Android phone, and when I got that, it just synced with Google automatically, and the whole process was pretty painless. Going directly from Windows Palm Desktop to Google isn't as easy, though. You're going to feel some pain, and have some work to do.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

I had a long journey recovering from what Palm, Missing Sync, BB Desktop and iSync conspired to do to my contacts. I finally resorted to a database approach. Then I could use queries like "give me all the blank first names" or "give me all the first names containing commas". It was outlandish. I was even faced with emails turned into phone numbers and vice versa. I can't go back and look now since upgrading to Lion. No. Strike that. I could copy my data over to an old G4 Mac and look but I don't. But the last time I did look, I was able to trace the majority of the corruption back to Palm. A lot of the silliness with my contacts started there. Even before it was exported, there were some phone number emails and vice versa.

So I suggest you export your stuff. Then open it in excel or a database and be prepared to spend some time cleaning it all up. Whether you go to Outlook or google or scheduleworld is your choice. Just don't leave it sitting in a csv file. I would think you could even import it back into Palm Desktop if you like. Another option to consider besides outlook, google and palm desktop is Pimical. It's written by CESD who wrote datebk6 and I have heard good things about it.

4. rjbinney

rjbinney PDA for my PDA

Yeah, I've been really hesitant to give up on Palm. I really like everything about it - until this.

I don't like how Outlook manages To-Dos and (particularly) Memos.

I have no interest in cloud-based (i.e., Google).

Might look at Pimical. Have heard decent things about it, as well.

My Contacts is a minor issue. The worst for me, since losing my Palm, is the ability to easily and effectively manage appointments in different time zones. Blackberries do this well with Outlook, but I don't know of another device that does (aren't both iPhones and Android UNIX-based?)

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

Yes Android and iOS are both Unix based with touch based gui wrappers. To get at the Unix underneath iOS you need to jailbreak. I believe the procedure would be called rooting on Android.

BTW, there's nothing inherently wrong with the cloud. You can always use it as a "really long wire" to get data from one device or application to another device or application and then delete the data from the cloud when you are done. Of course this requires you to trust that it's "really gone" once you delete it. In my case I've decided that I don't care so much if it's "really gone" as long as there aren't bits floating around out there that somebody could use for identity theft.

6. rjbinney

rjbinney PDA for my PDA

It's the "really gone" and also access - I frequently am working offline. And trusting that it's there when I need it.

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Access is the owner of the palm os and they still license it to a few handheld manufactures. Aceeca is one of them and they are currently producing 2 or three of there devices with palm os as an option. Aceeca also wrote a Palm desktop driver for 64bit systems. This allows you to do a cable sync on a 64bit Windows operating system.