Another Possible Picture of palmOne LifeDrive

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

2. feranick

feranick Mobile Deity

It looks nice to me, I am used to the Tungsten C, so the bulkiness is not a problem. I miss the keyboard, but the bigger screen is worth the lack of the keyboard. What I am really worried about is how Garnet will handle the hard drive. Considering how many problems the T5 had with the new flash RAM, I really fear this device will be buggy. I hope not.

Could this be an iPod killer?

3. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

If they bundle it with BT headphones and bring it to market before the BT iPod.

4. mbk1487

mbk1487 Mobile Evangelist

Nice iPod alternative if Robrecht's BT dream comes true, but definitely NOT an iPod killer. You're talking apples and star fruit if you're trying to compare the two. iPod owners crow about the seamless sync and ease of use, and even if this thing is multimedia-oriented, that doesn't mean it's ease of use will come close to iPod's. In fact, I'll argue it'll be inherently more complicated because Palm devices just do more. So no, not a killer, but perhaps a great alternative. Does anyone know if this thing is even planned to be AAC & AAC+ compatible? Or are we just speculating for the fun of it?

5. Timothy Rapson

Timothy Rapson Mobile Deity

Each new picture looks nicer and adds more liklihood to the LifeDrive. But, the price goes up. Now $550-600.
    Now, almost every PDA I have ever seen sold for half of its original list price within a year (notable exceptions, Palm V, Compaq 2200s and 1910s). If Palm is still selling these by next Spring and they are going for $250, I might pick on up. Depends how the battery life is and what else comes out. I am getting very tired of my Zire 71 that will play music for only a couple of hours with the screen off before the battery is down to only 25% charge. It makes me nervous. It will last through a church and Sunday School hour (MyBible, NOT Games! Sheesh!), but it ought to last through a full days work.
    Wonder if this LifeDrive has an OLED screen? That would save some battery life (although as noted above, my Zire runs out pretty fast even with screen off.) A 2100 mAh battery and a 412 MZ Intel set to coast whenever possible might last a very long day.
    I wish it had a camera, but these latest shots show all the way around and there is no camera lense evident. There is lots of room for a CF slot, but PalmOne has never done one and this model has no use for one with 4 gig onboard. Ironic though, to have all that room for it.
    I would love this to have a metal case, titanium, magnesium, or even stainless steel would be nice.

6. foxfire4321

foxfire4321 Mobile Evangelist

Why didn't they finally update the screen to VGA or greater. If you are going to finally make a top of the line Palm system, you should at least make the screen top of the line too, especially considering you can get a VGA Dell PPC (yeah I know, no HDD) for under $400.

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

To do so would require making the jump to Cobalt, something palmOne seems uninterested in at this time.

There are those who are speculating that palmOne is going to skip Cobalt completely in favor of Palm OS for Linux.

8. foxfire4321

foxfire4321 Mobile Evangelist

I think this will lag behind the WM market, especially as microdrives get cheaper (as do high density CF and SD cards). The Lifedrive doesn't seem to offer anything that would drive me to the Palm realm, espcially if they do have issues with memory managment on the HDD.

You would need to make this very price effective to get it to win over the performance handheld market, say around $400 max. Having worked on a VGA handheld, I can honestly say it is no comparison to QVGA or HVGA screens, just wish I had the funds for an hx4700. :)

9. Fzara2000

Fzara2000 Mobile Deity

What's the obssesion of palm and HP with square ugly handhelds:confused:

To the one that comented about comparint the lifedrive with the ipod. Cnet event wet as far as saying the PSP would kill the iPod. This is akin to saying that the car is going to kill the airplane. Don't compare apples to oranges.

10. k2stingray

k2stingray Mobile Deity

Do BT headphones work with BT1.1? For some reason I thought BT1.2 was required for decent quality BT stereo audio transmission.

This device seems promising except for the back side speaker. I HATE this PDA design practice. It should be outlawed.

Make one of these with BT1.2, front side speaker & VGA then I'd be tempted to leave PPC world.

IMO the USB 2.0 & the no built in camera are HUGE pluses. Do wish it had a CF slot rather than SD. With CF you have option to put in SD adapter and read both CF & SD (which can be quite handy if someone else has file you wish copy of on CF card). With SD you have that option only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.